Dumaguete Info Search

Forum Title

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Jack Peterson, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You posting problem should be resolved.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

I see that on the first screen shot you searched for "Fiesta" and on the second one it is for "unread posts".

Try this link.

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/search?r=562980

If it works bookmark it.

3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Wrye you are , missing the point, Both Shots are of MY search pages at different times, One is Complete One is Not! It matters not how I arrive at my search page it is what it shows that is the problem, Surely you can see they are Different on different days.

4. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It really does matter how you arrived at it and what you searched. You could have your search settings set up very differently than everyone else. Did that link show you what you want to see?

5. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    This is my search page as at 7.15 pm, Does yours look like this?

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    If your page has More detail than This, then this is my problem. I can't explain it any better.

JP

7. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    In fact members does anyone else, have a Page that looks like this, not all the Information is on mine.

Thank You!

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are missing the adverts. Do you run an adblocker? What is that red plug-in on the top right of your browser? Looks like a red hazmat symbol...or a stylized lower case "a"....hard to tell what that is. I don't recognize the logo.

Ignore the stuff on the left. That's just my OS tool bar. I use a different theme on chrome and the forum than you and I have a lot of tabs open but this is what I see. Other than the advertisement missing it looks identical.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082

OK Guys and Gals, I am sure that this driving you all crazy Today i will try and clear this up. Wrye, On the 2 Screen shots you can see a difference, One has posting information, one does not there are things missing. on the Old Format it would tell us who posted and on what forum and a time, Underneath it would then say "See more and Go to Post" this was under the posters photo or Avitar on the left none of this is there now. In Addition at the bottom Right would be pages numbers of past pages in that Forum

Can we now presume that this Option is not available to us on this new Set up. like the return to top button Wrye I find this a little strange for an Advanced system, that must have cost you a fair Bit to buy, lease or however it is done. Sorry if I have taken a lot of time on this but after all these years it is Something we all got used to and now it takes so much time to find older threads and posts that we may need.

When a Thread has gone off the Todays page we have no way of Quickly Finding that Topic or post.

Regards JP.
    BTW I turn off Adverts when I am trying to Concentrate, they go back on after I have completed my Task.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The two screen shots you last posted are of this thread and they are absolutely spot on with how they are supposed to look. I posted a screen shot showing the exact same thing that you posted only minus the advertisements. There was absolutely no difference between your screen shot and mine. I was commenting on that.

Listen: I don't why you are using the search function to find the latest post. That is not how you find the most recent posts/topics/anything. The search function is for searching keywords and tags ONLY. Forget about the search function unless you are looking for specific information. Here is the exact method you should use to finding the latest topics (which is what I think you have been trying to find the entire time):

1. Go to the main forum site www.dumagueteinfo.com/board. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like. (Do NOT go to any sub forum to do this or you will only find the most recent posts in that specific forum):

2. Click on the "Latest Activity" tab next to the, currently, highlighted "Forum" tab (this is NOT the "Latest Topics" widget to the right of the forum list). When you click on that tab it will be highlighted blue as this screen shot shows:

3. You can then click on "SEE MORE" or "GO TO POST". If you click "SEE MORE" it will show the rest of that specific post on the same screen. If you click "GO TO POST" it will take you to that thread and it should take you to the last post made.

With that being said I will repeat; Do NOT click on this:

This is nothing more than a glorified search (I actually have to enter in the search criteria within the widget....this is the best that the search function can do). If you click the "View All" it will take you to a search page and searches on forums are notoriously bad. The search algorithms are not made by Google. They suck. I do not know why yours looks different than mine. I have tried it logged off, on a regular user account, on a moderators account and on my admin account and they all look exactly the same. I can't fix something that I can't see. Really though, it is irrelevant as to why it doesn't look the same. With any new software, you do not worry about how it used to be, you worry about what gets the job done. You want to find the most recent posts, the method I posted above will do that. Do not worry about the old forum software, it's gone and how it works is has nothing to do with how this software works. You are trying to use a function that is not designed for the task you are trying to accomplish; it's like you are trying to grill a grilled cheese sandwich in a coffee maker....it just ain't going to happen.

If, by chance, the search function stops working for me I will give it my best go at fixing it. So far it seems that you are the only person that is having a problem. I'm sorry for that, I am.....I really wish I was in the Philippines right now because I would be at your house right now trying to fix the problem for you. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the settings selected. I hope that this post helps you find the latest posts and gives you an alternative to the search function.

Attached Files: