Dumaguete Info Search

FREE POPCORN at GiGie's

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Ronondo Rico, Nov 26, 2007.

1. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Uhmmm... u mean the burgers are priced at p100 pesos? You do u decide to priced them that expensive? just asking those..hehe! :D I went passed there on my way home around 3pm.. it seems closed.. i dunno.. wat tym do u usually open sir and serve them burgers? :smile:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    there are "worlds" between a good burger and a good burger in the philippines. and there are additional "worlds" between a good burger in the philippines and a good burger in Dumaguete.... it may sound hard but it is the truth, sorry...

cheers

Rhoody

3. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I thought the fast food outlets had the same standard all over the world, well I tried kentucky fried chicken here= well they lost the recipe here!!! awful.burger king= ok the best of the fast food outlets I tried. jolibee=no comment!!!!!Mc Donald= not my fave, even in the west, here awful. I wonder what filipino's who have worked in the states or europe make of it, why is second best acceptable here? now seafood that is a different story some of the best seafood restaurants I have been to are here in the P.I's.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Eddy,
    KFC never had any recipe, it is disgusting in the states it is disgusting in the PI. MC Do is the same standard all over the world, what does not mean it is good... and because of the country it comes from, even Jollibee has success in that country and opens more and more "restaurants" there...
    considering all 3 as food anywhere in the world does not show a high expectation... the best food in the states are grilled BBQ'ed pieces of beef, and they comes from Mexico, Argentina and Brasil....

5. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Rhoody I stayed in boracay for 2 month's when I first came here, I would go and order a american breakfast when they brought the toast it was white, this happened in 5or 6 places I tried , I would tell them toast is meant to be brown, usually the rest of the breakfast was bad too, so that was my test if they can't make toast they can't cook!!! I have 2 fantastic filipino helpers with me for the last year, and they never tasted bread before they met me, could not afford it, I taught them just basic cooking and now they love bread, could not do with out it, and bacon too!! looking back maybe I did not realise how limited the diet was here due to lack of money and basic cooking skills. One favourite is a banana sandwich, both girls brought that back to there province and it was a big hit, another favourite is pancakes, gees why don't they teach domestic science for even 1 hour a week at school here? it would change so many lives for the better.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Though you're addressing the mssg to rhoody,but i'd like to have my say in this issue.Majority of filipinos don't do toast for their breakfast eddy .So if they don't do your standard english toast good, it doesn't mean they can't cook I am sure there are also filis out there that hasn't got any clue how to cook , what were they doing in boracay restaurant in the first place , making breakfast for tourists,I wonder .But coming to the Philippines with some attitude , bit of a unpleasant tone in your post of not being able to eat your standard western style breakfast ,sounds funny strange to me.Why don't you try to eat fish and rice for breakfast instead , they might cook it a lot better , you're in the philippines not england .When in Rome do as the Romans do.

I also wonder why your helpers claimed they haven't tasted bread before you meet them ;-P

Bread is everywhere in the philippines,even in remotest villages in the mountains .In rural areas there's always this van or truck that runs around selling bread,and local native retailers bringing their carabaos for their bread cargos to the mountains.I am talking about the filipino bread (not the english or any western bread )and they are very cheap.Even the ta'ut batos in remotest jungles of inner palawan can access sometimes of some bread from low land barter ,and your helpers haven't ? you know what eddy i am suspecting your helpers were only talking pork pies and you always believed them too .:p

And banana sandwich?sounds yucky,oooops sorry perhaps coz i'm not fond of bananas.The idea alone of putting it in sandwich ? Never heard of it,only now,and this sandwich being a big hit in the province,perhaps another pork pies from your maids.Don't always believe them,same as they claimed they never tasted any bread in their lives before they met you, all bulls*,.Deep fry those bananas in a boiling hot oil coated with brown sugar and put each in a stick and will always be the big hit, banana-Q in the provinces.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Bread is everywhere in the PI ???? We really need to find another name for this dough-structures, but not bread... hehe... I guess I am long enough here and looked a lot, I know a Baker in Batangas, where I would say it is almost bread. A german guy here in Dumaguete makes some good "bread", and there are some more around, but like you mentioned PN, we are in the Philippines, so we foreigners need to accept and respect the local kitchen and the way of coocking it.
    We had staff-parties where our boss put up a great buffet (a kind of western style), All the stuff told him they liked it and we "cought" them sneaking out and go around the corner to eat a hand full rice with local dishes. Things we need to accept...
    The only thing I really complain about is that the SMB quality goes downhill since 2 years...

Rhoody

8. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    pand de mundo,pan de sal ,pan de leche are still bread,we even have this called ' stick bread ' that doesn't resemble any kind of bread ,but it's classified as bread ,comes in diff colours and forms. A win to win situation .Its knowing more what is filipino .I had been to the remotest villages in palawan and Negros,you find this odd shack in middle of nowhere selling local bread perhaps few days even a week old .They might not look same as the expected western loaf of bread ,it is still bread for filipinos.

But when a filipino would say he/she haven't eaten bread ever in their existence on planet earth,that's bull i think.I wouldn't buy that . Unless they are discovered like doing the tarzan in some remote island jungles and adopted trained to work as maids, might well convinced me.

9. boyette

boyette DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Second best acceptable here?

Hello Eddy,
    I beg to disagree with your statement that the second best is acceptable in the Philippines. When these foreign companies first opened their branches in the Phils, they retained the same 'standard' as you mentioned in preparing their food. However, these did not do well with the Filipino tastebuds. You see, Filipinos like their food on the sweet side, especially spaghetti. So what did they do? They had to re-think their formulas to make them acceptable to Filipinos. If you think Burger King is the best of the outlets, then perhaps they tried to retain their secret fomula (and perhaps that is the reason why it is not so popular among Filipinos). Remember, they are catering to the masses and not to a handful of foreigners.
    Have been in the US for a number of years, and i still haven't gotten used to the bland taste of food here. But i don't complain because i could not expect the restaurants here to cook the food the way i like back home... when i really want to eat the food i like, i go to a Filipino restaurant or perhaps cook these myself.

10. logicwings

logicwings DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only place I will eat a burger in Dumaguete is McDonalds. I met an Aussie butcher in Cebu City. He told me under no circumstances eat the local meat. He visited several meat packing houses and was shocked. There is a vast difference in the meat quality in the US and the Philippines.