Dumaguete Info Search

FREE POPCORN at GiGie's

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Ronondo Rico, Nov 26, 2007.

1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Wow, wow and wow... Lot's of opinions, guess there is no standard for taste huh?
    Well I eat local meat everyday. IF you shop carefully, the meat is ok here. I speak now of dumaguete small scale market, not Manila processors or the like. If you think the meat is safe in the U.S. think again. The USDA is understaffed, under budget, and the pressures to speed production in a decentralized market is emourmous. what that is all about is meat is processed in gigantic factories with virtually no oversight, then shipped great distances to consumers.
    Yes there is little refrigeration here, but the upside is you can get meat that is fresher than any U.S. supermarket, without the carbon monoxide used to preserve the fresh red color.

Recently, two companies went out of bussinessin the U.S. because their salmoenella tainted meat poisoned numbers of people acrossthe U.S. Ironically one (Topps meat)sold frozen hamburger patties.

Not saying there are not do's and don'ts to selecting meat here. I am raising my own pigs for future consumption, that is the best way if you can swing it.

The beef here... well they call it beef. Old karabow most likely.

The bread here is just like the bread in the U.S. most prefered by consumers, Wonder bread that is like white cotton and has no taste. So the same. what you can't find here is good ethnic breads, there is a difference.

Mcdonalds makes a concerted effort to conform to local tastes and offer local exclusive items, even in Germany! But your talking the lowest comon denominator in high sugar, high sodium processed fast food.

KFC? I think the Colnel was married to a Filipina, or went to a butcher school in the Philippines. NO recognizable parts, with thick greasey crust. Can you say Dumaguete Fried Chicken?

I like to eat what is fresh, local and in good supply. Which here means getting used to locally available produce, fish, and chicken*, pork. It's also cheaper.

*native chicken is probably healthier, if it is range fed vs. the San Miguel factory chickens though they look better and fatter. same with the pork. I used to live in an area where veal farms were prevalent, if you ever saw how they raise so called "milk fed" veal, you would never eat veal again. The large contract pork farms here are similar, very high tech, with growth hormones, and other chemical additives added to maximize profit, minimize loss. good bussiness, at a price.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Negros Mountain Chicken

I think the best chicken you can get are the free living mountain chicken. (noy the chicks you might think, Marky, Melvin, Justin). I mean those which have a shorter leg. I went up with a local to hunt some, and man this was fun. You have to approach them from the front, and yell at them, when they turn around to run away, they just fall over because of their shorter leg on one side and roll down the hill. My guide just had to pick them up and we had a great BBQ later with quite some cold beverages...:p better than each burger in town
    cheers

Rhoody

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Whaaaaaaa you hunt the chickens marky,melvin and justin !!!!:D how dare you hehehehe.

Or did I read this right.

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I wish there's something like authentic Thai-vietnamese restaurant there in Duma or as close to that of the Lemon Grass restaurant in Ayala Mall in Cebu,we really had nice meal out there.

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thats quite funny Rhoody, as i have the same, one leg shorter than the other,
    but I don't fall over hehe.

6. gie1975

gie1975 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boyette,
    I agree with you.yeah,as a Filipino every time we are in foreign countries we always accepted and lived whats in their countries,all frozen processed food,veges are frozen,fruits has a bitter taste.mostly all instant food all processed,even meats and etc.but we don't complained we tried hard to fit ourselves to our new countries,not only in foods we also adopted their ways we understood their cultures.nobody forced us to lived in foreign countries this is our individual choice,so why bitching about stuffs.same here I did the same if I miss my food back home I cook my own food or ate at the Filipino restaurant,bought some fish with heads on it,pork with skin and fats.sardines.etc.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What's up with all these old threads being renewed lately? How do you guys even come to find these old threads?

8. gie1975

gie1975 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wrye83,
    why is there a restrictions in this thread because its an old one?they should close this thread if there is.and I dont care if this thread is back in Magellan and lapu-lapu genarations,this is my rights to comment or to post my opinions.:smile:

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I didn't say you couldn't bring up old posts. I'm just curious as to why you would and how you come about finding them. Sensitive bugger aren't ya?

10. gie1975

gie1975 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :smile:.lol.not much a bugger..not too sensitive too just a bugger