Dumaguete Info Search

FROM USA TO DUMA - MAKING AN ELECTRONIC LIST

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by nwlivewire, May 25, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks! It's on my list.

nwlivewire

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't see any mention of that on their website. I liked using them because I didn't have to worry about paying duty. I have ordered through other shipping companies and they wouldn't surrender the goods until I paid them the duty. Not exactly sure how Johnny Air got around that but hey, plausible deniability. :wink:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I don't currently live in the Philippines, but I am a full time student and I would make sure that you get the best computer you can afford as well as a tablet. I like the apple products myself because for me they just keep working. I use dropbox to store all of my schoolwork on since I can work on it from any computer with an internet connection, you may wish to make sure you can utilize a cloud storage site for your personal use also.

I would wait till I got to the Dumaguete to buy a printer, the method I use is to walk through the store and find the least expensive and most plentiful ink cartridge, and then go find the matching printer. One thing I would look for is requirements that you may have for special items such as a TI84. I find it amazing that these are still required for some classes. I needed to have that dinosaur for both pre calculus and applied calculus here just a couple of years ago myself. I have also found that going to school full time and working full time I do not have time to watch TV, and most of the stuff they show is garbage anyways. I would skip just skip the whole TV thing personally.

Good luck with your school.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    THANKS A BUNCH MIDWAY!

I've added more to the list. Computer AND tablet.

I'm reading mixed reports on the computer size. Some folks have laptops and prefer them for home usage, while other prefer the non-portable tower style for home usage.

Apple just came out with a new tablet version - an Apple IPad Air2. With all the accessories and upgrades, it costs 1,500 USD fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. 899 USD for the bare bones model with max upgrade GB capability.

Like most folks here in the States, I'd love to own one, but HOLY COW!, this electronic stuff still can cost a pretty penny. Where's that winning lotto ticket? lol

I like how you used the method of basing your printer selection around the availability of ink.

Will look into the pre-requisite class requirements for other electronic stuff I may need. Good idea!

As for TV, I enjoy being able to catch news channels from around the world, and enjoy channels such as National Geographic, History, History2, Starz, Discovery, etc. Are there not any channels like this in Dumaguete? Cable?

Midway, where are you now in this world? Are you still in school and working, too?

Still haven't heard back from Johnny Air. So it looks like I'll have to re-send another inquiry.

I'm also looking at a hard-cased, roller piece of luggage - just in case the cost of shipping a trunk or two of stuff becomes cost prohibitive.

Excess baggage costs right now on PAL is 150 USD per piece if under a certain dimension and under a certain weight limit. The next jump-up in price per checked baggage is 450 USD per piece if over the initial certain size and weight limits.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

5. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    I am still in school, although I have taken the summer off from class. I will finish the final three classes to get my BS in business this fall. I will also run out of post 911 gi bill money in the fall semester so I am exploring other options for continuing in school to get my MBA.

I live in Virginia Beach, but when I retire again (I retired from the military a while back) I intend to move to the Philippines. I met my wife when I was stationed in Cubi Pt. (Subic Bay).

I know the apples are expensive, but i have been using the iPad and MacBook for a long time, the battery life in the iPad is better than the android tablets that I have seen.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Apple is fine for most people but you are going to have a hell of a time getting it repaired if anything happens to it in the Philippines. Android would be the way to go for support in the Philippines. (Preferably Samsung)
    Best Tablets in 2015 To Buy Right Now: iPad Mini 2, Surface 3, Galaxy Tab S, iPad Air, Surface Pro 3, Nexus 7
    iPad Air 2 Vs Samsung Galaxy Tab S: The Tablet For 2015

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro that can double as a tablet. It was expensive last year (but it's down below $1k USD now). Personally, I'd rather have a smaller notebook that is touch screen than a tablet. I can knock out 70WPM on a small keyboard while only 20-30 on a phone or tablet. Though I'm still not sure what role tablets are supposed to play in the electronics world so I'm a bit biased. The only thing I have really used my tablet for is playing games.

:o o::vomit:

7. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear Wrye83:

Thanks for bring up the accessibility of support services (and lack thereof) in the Philippines on certain models or types of electronic equipment.

That would really be a waste of money and resources to invest in something only to discover that should it break down, it's nearly impossible to repair.

Lenovo is getting good "street cred" here in the States for having good value for the product produced - good bang for the buck.

The Surface Pro is doing tons of cable advertising right now in my sector. I looked at one of these last year, but didn't break down and buy one back then. Will look at notebooks again soon and make a buying decision shortly before I take off to Manila.

It looks like for what I will need to have for all the school work, what with papers to write, notes to take, etc., a notebook will provide the best versatility for my needs.

A notebook is small enough to pack around if I need to use it at school, will allow me to type faster (since I'm not the fastest gun in the west with keyboarding) and a notebook would hold enough memory as a backup to my laptop. Cloud storage is a good thing, but thumb drives and external hard drives can work, too.

So it looks like I'll pack one large suitcase for my clothing, shoes/personal items, one large suitcase for my electronic gear, and one large suitcase for the "odds and ends" that can't fit in the first two in order to meet airline size and weight requirements. I'll be damned if I pay 450 USD for a trunk!

The rest of the stuff I may need can be purchased on the local economy when I find a place to rent.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

Thanks again one and all. Your input is valuable and very much appreciated.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1