Dumaguete Info Search

Garbage Collection?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Brian Oinks, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have been trying to educate the 'Family' regards burning rubbish here. I started collecting rubbish in Rice Bags separating the recyclables from plain rubbish etc. The Wife was told to place the bags on the side of the Highway for collection. A week later she was told to buy GARBAGE Bags and repack the rubbish, as the garbage collectors did not pick up Rice Bags due to Rice & other bags not being approved. So we purchased Garbage Bags and again left by the side of the Highway here in Malatapay. THREE Weeks later and they are still laying on the side of the road! :facepalm:

Makes me wonder if the following article will in any way help to improve the way Garbage is disposed of here in NO... Somehow I doubt it... :rolleyes:

P8M fines set landfill rush
    After being slapped with approximately P8.5 million in fines by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Negros Island Region, the twenty-three cities and towns affected in NegOr are accelerating their efforts to shut down their open dump site and build sanitary landfills.

Charge it to that old Filipino Maniana habit. The P8.5Millioin fine to the LGUs made them jump from their seat,or the next fine will come.

In fact, five municipalities and Dumaguete City are amenable to forming a cluster and to pool their resources for the purchase of lot, operation and maintenance of the sanitary landfill.

Valencia Vice-Mayor Romeo Alviola confirms that Zamboanguita, Dauin, Bacong, Sibulan and San Jose are ready to discuss in details the proposed establishment of a landfill in his town particularly in Barangay Malaunay where solid waste from said LGUs will be disposed in accordance to the law.

Alviola said that based on conservative estimates, a sanitary landfill would require some P 75 million that would be too costly for the already cash deficient LGUs to provide, hence, the proposal to group themselves in one cluster to ease the financial burden.

Dumaguete City Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo has expressed interest in helping fellow LGUs to purchase the 8- hectare lot in Valencia town provided that it will pass the geo-hazard survey and other requirements of the DENR.

In fact, the city government has appropriated an initial amount of P 5 million for the land acquisition on top of the P28.7 million appropriation for the purchase of 2 brand new garbage compactors, dump trucks and other programs for solid waste management.

City Environment and Natural Resources Rossel Marie Garcia said that the proposed waste-to-energy scheme under Private-Public- Partnership remains a viable option with the imprimatur of DENR.

Nevertheless, the municipal mayors of the five towns are keen of meeting with Mayor Remollo to finalize their collaboration in setting up a common sanitary landfill for the cluster at the soonest possible time to demonstrate their firm commitment to comply with the law and to be given reprieve in the collection of fines.

Garcia also served notice to all the 30 component barangays of Dumaguete City to strictly observe the policy of segregation at source and reiterated the firm commitment of the present administration for the eventual closure of the open dump site in Barangay Candau-ay.

DENR imposed the highest penalty of P 2.5 million to Dumaguete City along with another unidentified LGU. But many other LGUs have kept mum on the amount of fines imposed since these are not yet final while appeals have already been filed.

Of the twenty-five cities and municipalities composing Negros Oriental, only the cities of Bayawan and Canlaon were spared from the fines after proving that their sanitary landfills are functioning well.

P8M fines set landfill rush - The Negros Chronicle

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    You can get daily pick up of garbage, but..... it only works when in their face lol. I have for years been twice a week been bringing my household garbage to the city and dump it in front of the Honeycomb/Whynot parking lot. Now..granted I am some what of an early bird but I can say it is gone before the sun rises over Siquior . Gotta do what you have to do.. Nothing else seems to work lol..

• Like Like x 2
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I doubt you will have much sucsess educating the non burning of garbage,seems to be built in their genes to burn everyday,leaves,garbage and anything else they can find to burn.
    We have a free garbage collection in bacong every week but still makes no difference,there os one family who dumps everything on side of road every day away from their home,never in sacks. Theyre just too lazy to even realise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    LOL! :biggrin:
    Maybe I should 'deposit' it in front of the local Zamboanguita Hall and let the 'Officials deal with it'... :finger:

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It was like that back in Australia when I was younger, EVERYONE had a backyard incinerator and EVERY afternoon the skies were thick with putrid smoke! We use to take a lot of the garbage directly to the local dump most weekends, only problem was after scrounging we often bought back MORE than we took to begin with! :biggrin:

It saddens me here to see just how much loose rubbish gets strewn around in plain view, even when they are finished with something they simply just toss it over the fence! Going to have words with the neighbour soon also if I do not see a change in the piles of rubbish, mounds of pig shyte and scattered 'human MUD' that keeps appearing here on our lot! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    Carefully choose your words when talking to your neighbour about the problem.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Choose your words carefully is very good advise. You are in a 3d world country where pissing and crapping on the streets is a national sport. Long after we are gone (and our atm card expires) they will still be here, burning garbage, pissing on your fence and caring not one bit what you think... Long before you and I came here many others did. we are but a 2 or 3 decade convenience, based on mutual abuse. We abuse the young, they and their family abuse our money. Accept that (I did) have a great life here and dont worry about the burning garbage and smell.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  8. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Our garbage collectors are good guys who collect and sort anything you leave. I use a dustbin, so they only have to pick up one container and not 20 plastic bags. I felt sorry for them as they don't have any protective clothing etc. I purchased some gloves for them, as their hands are usually only protected by plastic bags. Guess what, a week later no sign of the gloves, but they have plastic bags on their hands, again.

9. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe the local 'Garbos' are monitoring DI Forum... :o o:
    Rubbish is gone today! :smuggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    I put my rubbish beside the road (National Highway, 3km south of Dauin) every Thursday morning (2 black bags, usually). Vanishes, just like that. No mess, no smell...

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.