Dumaguete Info Search

Garbage Collection?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Brian Oinks, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    HOWEVER, we have a larger yard with grass. They way they cut grass here is as follows:
    IMG_1116.JPG
    This results in many grass clippings. We will BURN whatever we do not compost.
    Also, we are improving our efficiency in grass cutting with the purchase yesterday of a US style lawnmower. This will disrupt the local economy by removing 3X P300 per day (P300 per human grass cutter per day) and quickly pay for the gas powered mechanical version from Uymatiao. As long as we cut regularly and don’t use the grass catcher, we will not have the problem of clippings disposal so will be ok with the law (whew).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    $5 for cutting a lawn with hand clippers...tsk tsk. Could you ever find someone in the West to do that for less than $100? No way. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Does your standard for paying helpers US wages not apply to lawn care? :meh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Haha,
    In the West, my lawn was cut by 2 Mexicans working for about 30 minutes with gas mower, gas trimmer and blower. That cost $35.00/job , or, a rate of $35/hr/worker, total P1750. Here, it was two days work for P1800 for 3 workers at P300 per day each for 2 days. Yep, works out the same as in the West at $35/job. Here it was worth $35 for the job and I don’t mind paying the same for the job as in the West. Now, I cannot do anything about the fact that the workers did not have equipment that would make them at least 16 times more efficient. But they could borrow and invest in a P17K gas mower and do each job in 30 minutes instead of two days. Then, after they finished mine, they could cut 15 other lawns in the 2 day period at P1800, then pay for the lawnmower in a few weeks and it is heavy after that and they get rich, being the only commercial mowing service in Dumaguete and Valencia. The alternative, to pay them for an inefficient process, does not help anyone. At $560 per lawn cutting, 2 or 3 times per week, I would not be able to reasonably be able to employ them and afford beer at the same time.

Bottom line is, if you have a lawn in the Phils, get a lawnmower (mechanical variety) and have a beer when you’re done. After 10 lawn cuttings or 4 months, it is paid for and you don’t have to feel guilty about paying the measly P300 per hour.

4. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Ang komedya Sr Wrye!

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Your math doesn't work. You are simply paying far less than you would have to pay someone in US. When I cut grass as a teenager in the states for extra money the person with the lawn provided the equipment. You aren't even paying what the going rate was in the US back in the 80's/90's.

And the work they "could" do for other people has nothing to do with what you pay them for work they do for you. Your argument just doesn't hold up.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    my wife cuts mine, we only have a strimmer. Tried using that thing but after 10 mins my back and arms hurt age thing. Said to the wife lets get a gas mower, our lawn is a mixture of weed, grass and stones. Not the best lawn in the land.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Oh, my math works fine amigo. Why do I care what the labor “rate” is in foreign countries? I think I am being generous by paying the same for a completed job for a similar job in the US (not AUS where someone has quoted prohibitive min wage). Yes, too generous actually. I figure with automation (ie my brand new lawnmower) I can hire a human here for P500 to do the job in one hour. So rather than sitting around at the sari sari store or gambling at the money someone could earn enough to buy 33 kilos of rice (or a few cases of red horse).

Or, I could get the maid to do it for free.
    Hahaha

8. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Same here. The only place I could find here with mowers was Uymatiao, and they have a good selection. There may be other places but at Citi Hardware, Ace, Robinson’s I only found strimmers is anything at all.

9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    thats all I was talking about. So why not giving a tip to the trash guys, don't they deserve it also, as long as they give you that service (and doing surely a hard, underpayed job) ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  10. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    we will never completely know what Filipinos think, but we should try to understand it...otherwise you never arrive here as an expat. Try it, it's worth it, they are great people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.