Dumaguete Info Search

Gasoline prices

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by mokum, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I absolutely detest older Cars and Trucks that belch Diesel Smoke for this very reason. Diesel soot is touted to be one of the most carcinogenic substances known to mankind, or it was according to studies back in the day when I was comparing Unleaded Gasoline versus Leaded Gasoline when Australia switched to ULP trying to work out which was the more evil of the two.

Back in the day I did a lot of research on Unleaded Petrol versus Leaded Petrol and the findings were horrifying on the increases of Leukemia in children and other Cancers in countries where ULP was introduced over a prolonged study period. Many countries tried to warn Australia against introducing ULP. There were warning labels everywhere against using ULP in small motors which did not run Catalytic Converters, we were warned against washing engine parts in Petrol due to the increased risk of getting Cancer as it leached through your skin, against inhaling fumes from exhausts due to increased Health risks when using Motor Bikes, Motor Mowers, Weed Eaters, Chainsaws etc.

For me I think we should have stayed with Leaded Petrol. Many argue against, stating that it will dumb you down. I look at it this way; we grew up in houses painted with paint that contained lead, we drank from water tanks soldered using lead, we painted our Cars using paint that contained lead, lead is also naturally occurring in the ground and I have known many who have lived to great old age who grew up in this time period. I also remember arguments that the exhaust gases containing lead particles could not reach as high as ULP which was lighter and posed a risk to the Ozone layer. (Do not start me on the nonsense of Global Warming or "Global Change" since they now have information that the Globe is actually cooling, not warming up)

I look at it this way;
    LP: When I go out of this world with a lower IQ it would be with dulled senses...
    ULP: When I go out of this world it with Cancer it would be with full senses...
    I Know which one I would prefer! :wink:

If you believe the blurb, there are now Diesel Cars that run cleaner ways of making Diesel Cars which run even cleaner than Gasoline. I know a guy back in Australia who built a Perkins 6 cylinder Diesel in a 1948 Ford Freighter Truck with LPG Injection, everything is electronic and it is tuned whilst on the go via Satellite from the US, and it runs cleaner than a modern 6 cylinder ULP Passenger vehicle! The technology is there to make them run cleaner, but often is expensive or interest wanes quickly.

Such as the LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) craze that swept Australia. Converting vehicles to run on LPG was a fantastic idea. There entire Fleets converted to run LPG, great for cleaner air and cheaper fuel! I had friends who ran straight LPG on high compression performance vehicles which blew away their ULP opposition back when LPG cost less than half what they were charging for ULP. But the Government saw another avenue and began taxing LPG through the roof and out of reach of most, now it is very rare to even find a Service Station in Australia that stocks LPG for motorists. LPG is a far better fuel for the environment than ULP anyday, a wasted opportunity in my opinion where it is mostly a by product that is simply burnt off as I recall the HUGE ever burning flame that burnt above the AMOCO Refinery in Brisbane back in the 70's as they burnt off what was then waste fuel. (LPG)

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-diesel-gas.html

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/951029/diesel-car-breakthrough-emissions-engine-UK-fuel

2. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Read my message one more time. I just gave an example by indicating two cars I did/do own myself. Comparing fuel consumption of a car with a motrobike makes no sense of course.

3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    There is, of course, a big move towards electric cars (and other vehicles maybe) but their value to the environment depends on how they generate the electricity! They could do it for motorcycles by the passengers peddling to rotate a generator ... IF only there was a way to get 10 people on one bike! :wink:

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Survivor bias. Lead builds up in the system and causes severe health issues.

:meh: No they don't.
    giss_temperature.png

It does more than just make you stupid:
    "Symptoms may include abdominal pain, constipation, headaches, irritability, memory problems, inability to have children, and tingling in the hands and feet. It causes almost 10% of intellectual disability of otherwise unknown cause and can result in behavioral problems. Some of the effects are permanent. In severe cases anemia, seizures, coma, or death may occur."

Lead creates stupid criminals. It is detrimental to all of society.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Symptoms may include the same symptoms which may be included in any other ailment you may find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Which is what makes lead poisoning so dangerous. It can easily be misdiagnosed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I can understand being cautious today, but generations grew up without the warnings and many lived to old age. I know when I was younger I lived in houses with Asbestos-Fibro walls and Roofs. I drank from Water Tanks that were soldered using Lead-tin Solder. The Roof Guttering and Down-pipes that caught the water from the Asbestos Roof was also soldered using Lead-tin solder and no doubt the water contained Asbestos fibers which I know the roof was covered in and which we had to seal several times during the time we lived there. When I helped to repaint the house, we sanded back the Fibro-Sheeting covered in Lead base paint back to the Fibro. We sanded the Fibro-sheeting walls and inhaled that dust, we cut holes in them when we expanded my room and fitted windows etc. When I helped Dad (who passed away at 73Yo) work on the Car and then later on worked on my own Cars, we used the Leaded Gasoline to clean Engine parts absorbing it into our skin. (I have read that Unleaded is much more dangerous to use to clean Engine parts with due to increased risks of Cancer) Later on in my job, we repaired and painted cars which had very high levels of Lead. My old car which I painted Yellow I know contained 23.5% Lead at the time, and I came out of that Paint Booth stoned like you would not believe! I inhaled plastic Filler dust along with lead/ metal/ fiberglass etc particles on a daily basis. I was not taught to be aware of the dangers like people are today. Many grew up living in those times unaware and lived to old age while many did not, I just put that down to luck of the draw, when it is your time, it is time regardless.

I understand what you are conveying, but for the majority of us here reading this, it is already too late, the damage has already been done and we are fully aware of that, now...

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Again, this is survivor's bias. What about all those that died from it or went undiagnosed? You can't just look at who lived to old age, what matters is those that did not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Look for another price increase next week. Hurricane Michael shut down a lot of production in the Gulf of Mexico.

One nice thing here though is, all price increases and decreases if they ever come, always take affect on Tuesday, so if you know it it going up you can gas up before then if needed.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I disagree, from where I stand, what does matter to me, is I DO live to an older age than those who did not, and those who did not, no longer matter to me, for those who did not make it are now a part of History, while I am still fighting the fight to make sure I squeeze a few extra years from my lot. We will all die from something, even the fitness freaks, so when my time comes I will not rue the fact that in my generation there were not Warning Labels on everything to warn of the impending dangers involved.