Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Best Posts in Thread: Gazebo

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I shall disagree but I am afraid my source has passed on. An expat tenant put up a high-quality shade tarp over the dirty kitchen in the back of a unit he was renting in 2010. In 2014 I moved into that unit for a year and the tarp was still in great condition. I asked the previous tenant where he got that and who installed it and he said he would tell me if I bought him lunch. I kept postponing and never did find out. The tarp is still up and doing well but it outlived the expat who bought it, sadly to say he passed away earlier this year.

Point is the sun did not harm it. The trick was that it was installed so extremely tight that it did not budge in the wind. That was possible because the tarp was high quality. It is the constant stretching and whiplash from being blown around by the wind that seems to destroy good tarps here. At least that is how it seems to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would disagree with that. We have camo, shade and fence netting here in Afghanistan that has been out in extreme elements (most locations in country getting sunny skies 95% of the year) for at least a decade. Wind will do far more damage to these materials (if improperly secured) than the sun will. Polymers and plastics can take 50+ years to degrade enough in the sun to allow them to be digested by microorganisms (photodegradation).

Personally, I find metal, especially in the Philippines, to be an inferior product in these types of applications. I also despise the sound of rain slapping against a metal roof, but that's just me. I like the fiberglass idea though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is the canvas on the roof or around the sides? Nylon mesh camo/shade/fence netting works good at keeping the sun out but letting the breeze through and is usually quite durable. If you used it on the top water would get through when it rains but it does work out quite nice there as well for sunny days. Not sure where you would find that in Dumaguete though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    even the good stuff gets eaten by the sun, i'd consider a decorative metal or a fiberglass type roofing which is quieter than metal.

but for synthetics:
    i think davyl was referring to Dumaguete Zenith Commercial (sinet)
    Google Maps

Rubi Market sells tarp material and sews covers w/grommets for boats, trucks, etc.
    on the corner just the mtn side of immigration, same side as BOI
    Google Maps

JB Marketing sells good quality shade cloth for gardens, etc.
    under hotel Palwa (a couple of blocks towards the mtn from immigration, same side of the street as BOI.
    Google Maps

google maps; fun stuff...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It is a shade net,its pretty good

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    We Got our heavy Duty Carport Cover from "Dew Foam" They do a lot of things in that Line, Prices are good ( Well not bad anyway)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    GARDEN NET - 1meter x 8feet: Buy sell online Garden Shed & Greenhouses with cheap price | Lazada PH

I would consider something like that. Cheap and easy to replace if it ends up with sun rot. Might be better to get a lighter color (if available) to reflect heat.

camo net - Buy camo net at Best Price in Philippines | www.lazada.com.ph
    Camo netting is available as well on Lazada. This will provide for more shade than the garden net.

cord 550 - Buy cord 550 at Best Price in Philippines | www.lazada.com.ph
    I would also buy some 550 cord to tie it down.

• Like Like x 2