Dumaguete Info Search

Geothermal Dauin

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by firefly, Oct 10, 2011.

1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Maebe nobody has noticed it but Voltage in Bacong is stable now.
    At 6 Pm it is possible to use a microwave because the voltage is 230 volts and that was not the case a few months ago.
    According to a friend this is because Bacong has shifted to the new (Geothermal) powerplant in Dauin.
    Any information?

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Good morning, I have not heard anything about this Geothermal Powerplant but there is a new Transformer Station operating after San Miguel before Dauin on the right side of the High Way, my friend in Maayong Tubig says that his power is much more stable now at around 230 Volts.

3. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +674 / 92
    fwiw...
    i noticed that the bedroom fan runs slow at times so i got an automatic voltage regulator (avr) for my computer and it was clicking a bunch last saturday which is unusual. i assumed the power was fluctuating.

norm : ))~

4. mohon69

mohon69 DI New Member

Technician
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think theres no geothermal plant in dauin..i have a friend at noreco and he told me that power in bacong/dauin /zamboanguita are more stable now due to the energizng of a substation in bulak dauin last september 9

5. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +674 / 92
    Negros Power Generation

fwiw...
    from: The Official Website of the Province of Negros Oriental

http://www.negor.gov.ph/index.php/infrastructure

Power Generation

Negros Oriental’s primary source of power is the geothermal energy harnessed from the geothermal fields in Palinpinon, Valencia. There are two power plants generating geothermal energy which has a combined capacity of 192.5 mega watts.

Power rates in Negros Oriental is observed to be higher than those in the neighboring provinces notwithstanding the fact that it is the source of geothermal power interconnection that supply the Cebu-Panay-Leyte-Negros grid . A larger portion of the availablable power is consumed for household or domestic use.

Power rates charged by electric cooperatives to consumers are grouped according to type. Consumers are categorized as residential, small industries, large industries, irrigation system, public buildings, etc. Following is the presentation of the rates as approved by the Energy Regulatory Board.

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We we also told this by Polaris electrical in august that the bacong area would be stable by middle September and things do seem to be better now,before between 4pm and 9pm it would not run the aircon and freezer used to defrost every evening. Let's hope it stays this way!
    Weekends I also noticed that my small transformers fluctuate a bit on voltage but overall so much better.

7. OP
    OP
    firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Back in 2004 Romy G. Amarado wrote this in the Philippine Daily Inquirer:

DUMAGUETE CITY-Due to the growing demand for electricity, the Philippine National Oil Co.-Energy Development Corp. (PNOC-EDC) has decided to revive its geothermal exploration project in Dauin, Negros Oriental, that has been dormant for 24 years.

Wilfredo Algopera, resident manager of PNOC-EDC's Southern Negros Geothermal Production Field, said the PNOC has set aside some P50 million for drilling and other related activities in Sitio Bidjao, Barangay Magsaysay, Dauin, a town 14 km south of here.

The project will begin next year, he said

I just wonder what has happened with this 50 million pesos.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0

probably the same like with the 2-times paid diversion road Bacong Sibulan (where the right of way of the 2nd one is more expensive than the whole first road including construction)

9. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Don't bet on it

I worked on that project back in 1982 or 1983 and it didn't work, this was also using foreign consultants and geologists. There was very poor permeability in the aquifer meaning the geothermal fluids could not travel easily in the "Tight" formations. Also the produced steam had very high concentrations of sulfuric acid and destroyed even the temporary pipe lines in a short time.

10. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Very interesting piece of information, so this is most likely not becoming a future source of electric power, do you know of any other projects in this part of Negros and can there be seen anything of interest at the sites worth a visit?