Dumaguete Info Search

German national shot outside gie gies

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, May 18, 2019.

1. dr ski

dr ski DI Member

Derelict
    Ratings:
    +784 / 125
    Blood Type:
    O+
    OK. Right after merienda.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    • False accusations. Points and temporary ban issued.
    E187AB47-5DA3-4DE2-BFCA-0297E1042EB9.jpeg This is an excerpt from the current UK Travel Warning for the Philippines.

Dumaguete is the ONLY city named. In the last 60 days 4 expats have been shot. What does a acute mean?

Severe, Drastic, Dire, Dreadful, Grave, Profound, Serious, Dangerous. Peril...

What does the OP/Moderator do...when the travel warning is posted?

He buries it, Why?

One forum member actually claimed they probably deserved to be shot..this incredible claim caused me to take a timeout from this forum.

Expats in the Dumaguete area are not Fodder.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You're right. I used to think that these cases were never resolved. I was wrong and have adjusted my opinion on the topic. Also, just because the police and courts didn't find the murderer doesn't mean that justice wasn't carried out by and for the families. You can find plenty of things I have said in my 10k+ posts here that I no longer agree with. But I guess "you got me". :meh:

Again, 2 months is generally not enough time to conduct an investigation, make arrests and complete a court case. It doesn't happen that fast in the West and it certainly isn't going to happen in the Philippines that fast. Your expectations for the timeframe of justice being served is a bit ridiculous.

Also, careful with those negative ratings. They are not there as a disagree option. I will remove your ability to use them if you continue to abuse the feature. I suggest you Google the words abhorrent and trolling and find out what those words actually mean.

And it is understandable, given the criminal defamation laws in the Philippines, that they wouldn't speculate too much on crimes. When you can be thrown in prison for 2 years it is better to only stick with the facts.

I have buried nothing.
    False accusations + improper use of post ratings. Goodbye, for awhile.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have found this site, (DI) is a poor source of information on the results of police investigations. You will be able to find more information if you search Facebook (FB). The local mobile providers provide free text only access to FB. This is why the local Filipino population uses FB and not DI. You will find more information on FB than DI. A good place to look is HEADZ UP NegOr on FB.

Furthermore, there are many crimes and murders here. So much so that the readership of the local press loses interest in most of them. The press thoroughly covers the investigations into the murder of important social figures like politicians and the radio station host. There is enough of this to satisfy the appetite of the readership.

What is important to a few foreigners in not important to the Filipino readership here. Not much gets reported about investigations into the murder of foreigners.

This does not mean that the murders go unsolved by the police. Only that the results do not get reported. Especially here on DI. The posters here on DI do not follow up and communicate with the police department. Sometimes there will be a post on FB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Catabisis

Catabisis DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    More Germans are killed here than any other national. Probably said something sarcastic and got clipped.

Catabisis
    This message by Catabisis has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 3
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Quite stereotyping and stating something which may be FAR from the truth. I keep my mouth closed unless I know something and think it should be shared and think others may want to hear it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Are you German? If not, what is your excuse for diarrhea of the mouth?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    This is my observation----the shooting of expats in Dumaguete never happened in the past. This is a recent occurrence and I think the motives are all the same----robbery? I am just guessing re the motive.

9. tis me

tis me DI Member

Ratings:
    +196 / 45
    Robbery was definitely not the motive in the shooting of the German National and the Italian real estate gentleman in Dauin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They have been happening ever since I moved to Dumaguete almost 10 years ago. The shootings have increased...but so have the number of expats. When more opportunities present themselves and/or more Filipino-Expat interactions take place the more people will act on those opportunities, more thin skin will be damaged and/or conflicts in property/business dealings will take place.

When you move to an area where your financial situation is much better (or at least perceived to be much better) than the locals, along with major cultural differences, you are going to have these types of altercations. It is just human nature. Desperate people will resort to desperate measures. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times and take the proper precautions to protect yourself. Don't let that "city of gentle people" or "Filipinos are good people" nonsense fool you. There are sh*t human beings in every country and culture, the Philippines being no exception. Don't become complacent, everyone is a potential criminal that could end your life. (At least that's how I go about my daily life. Everyone I don't know, and many that I do, along with their actions are looked at with a reasonable amount of suspicion.)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5