Dumaguete Info Search

Getting fireworks

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by adegans, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Solid_Pan

Solid_Pan DI Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +92 / 2
    Please stay safe: Republic Act 7183, otherwise known as the Act Regulating the Sale, Manufacture, Distribution and Use of Firecrackers (...) List of prohibited firecrackers namely piccolo, pla-pla, Goodbye Philippines, Kabasi, Og, Atomic Bomb, Super Lolo, Lolo Thunder, Boga, Watusi, Kwiton, Giant Whistle Bomb, Judas Belt (large), and Bawang.
    Source:https://pia.gov.ph/news/articles/1016506

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Nah, the sooner natural selection can be utilized the better. Gotta get them before they can breed. All things deadly should be able to be easily obtained by children. :wink:

So if we change the names of the fireworks there would be no issues?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    adegans

adegans DI Junior Member

Webdeveloper
    Ratings:
    +23 / 4
    I found the place, it's right in front of the ACE Medical Place on the empty field.
    The only fireworks available seem to be explodey things and cheap-looking fountains and sparklers.

All Filipino made, some even home made. There was a guy sitting there making firecrackers. And shady under the table deals for "better" "louder" or "stronger" stuff we're hinted at many times.

I didn't find actual Chinese (Or imported) fireworks. One vendor said there is some kind of import ban. And none had any.

I was surprised by the high prices so didn't buy anything in the end :(
    A 20 shot "display" easily costed 2000-3000 pesos. Larger ones upward of 5-8k.
    Didn't look at the firecrackers and loud stuff... But they had a crap-ton of that too. Many home made.

Pity

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Reminds me of a friend, a teacher, who used to say "I strongly believe in Euthanasia - with the emphasis on 'youth'". [The fact it sounds like 'youth-in-asia' is just a coincidence].

I think at least one of you is joking. :smile:

5. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Yeah but the under the table deals often gets you the better stuff and at a better price. Being Filipino made doesn't necessarily mean inferior, I found they are pretty good. I find it kind of strange to say that only Chinese made are "actual fireworks". I paid a lot less than you are quoting for the 25 and 30 shot fireworks that I bought. Those "home made" big bottle rockets are also actually pretty good, they come in star burst or thunder burst varieties (either explode into a big sparkle or a loud boom). They were 100 pesos for a 10pc bundle. I offered 250 pesos for 3 bundles and they said sure. I've always enjoyed putting off fireworks for some reason, and since they don't celebrate 4th of July here, I'm happy to have the New Year occasion. By the end of a fun night of fireworks I feel like I got a good entertainment value for the money spent, and Chinese or not is not actually a thought that occurs to me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Hope they are safe. Just post a message on Jan 1st - any message will do. :smile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Yeah, but the Chinese have actually industrialized the fireworks. And this is from a country which is a manufacturing powerhouse. That means you get commodity prices, standardization in the manufacturing process and maybe even quality controls.

I would expect that handmade fireworks would be more expensive than something which has been pumped out of a factory. Prices of handmade fireworks would also vary a lot since they haven't been industrialized. Instead, it's like a box exploding chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

If this is political, then maybe the Philippines will develop their own industry. Maybe some are hand made while others do actually come from a factory. IDK.

8. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    About 30 people at our house for New Years party, fireworks were a big hit, everything worked perfectly - no issues.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. dbail51

dbail51 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    More expensive here than the U.S. I told the lady I bought
    From, how can it be more expensive here. U are closer to China than the U.S. She just smiled and said 600php
    Sir. That was for a 15shot cake, the warrior made in
    China I do believe. Was a great display.

10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    MANILA, Jan. 1 (Xinhua) -- At least 139 people were injured by firecrackers during the New Year celebration for 2019, the Philippine government said on Tuesday.

Philippine Health Secretary Francisco Duque told a news conference that based on the Department of Health record, the number of firecracker-related injuries during the New Year celebration for 2019 declined by 68 percent compared to 2018.

Duque said the significant decline of firecracker-related injuries could be attributed to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's order giving the Philippine National Police authority to regulate illegal firecrackers and fireworks.

The department said the number might still increase, adding that hospitals will continue to monitor cases related to fireworks injuries until Jan. 5.
    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-01/01/c_137712768.htm

• Informative Informative x 1