Dumaguete Info Search

Education GI Bill - Silliman University

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by Rye83, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So I started looking into signing up for classes here in Dumaguete using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Started with Foundation but they didn't have the courses I wanted so I went over to Silliman to check out what they were offering. Silliman seems to be the way to go for what I want.

Took me a minute to find the right building at Silliman because the guards there didn't speak very good English and the directions they gave were confusing (one guard had no interest in answering any questions and pushed me inside the gate to get rid of me and my questions lol). To anyone looking to sign up for classes here you should start at Hibbard Hall (Room 6) which you can find by going through the first gate on the left if you are starting from Portal West. It will be on the left side of the grassy area as you are walking in the gate.

Never used the VA education benefits myself so I found out that Silliman doesn't really help you out with this. You need to apply online to receive your VA education benefits. I've done this but I have no idea how long it's going to take for the VA to approve my form. I fudged up on the form and put in the wrong course as well so I will need to make a correction.

As for the school requirements, here is the paper they gave me (along with a admission form that I don't have a picture of):

Silliman.jpg
    (This is for students who have previous college education. The requirements for students who have never attended a college/university are different.)

Here is where I stand on these requirements:
    1. Official copy of academic records: This is going to be the biggest problem for me. My mother has a general power of attorney over me but the last time I tried to get my records from my previous school they wouldn't release the official transcripts directly to me. They required the organization needing the records (which was the military the last time I needed them) to send the them a letter requesting them. Bad practice if you ask me but I don't know how that stuff normally works with other colleges. My thoughts are I already paid for the classes, if I want the records you had better d*mn well provide it when I ask for them.
    2. Statements of good moral character: That's easy...landlord and Barangay Captain can provide the two needed.
    3. Two copies of passport: Birth certificate is not needed for expats (I specifically asked for them to clarify). This one is easy as well.
    4. 2"x 2" photos. 60 pesos for 10 of those. Easy.
    5. Physical Exam: I suppose this should be easy as well and everything can be done at Silliman hospital for a couple thousand pesos.
    6. Transfer my tourist visa to a student visa: hopefully I can do this in Dumaguete...since I posted that you could in the thread linked lol. Should cost around P10k. (I think resident/retirement visas do not need to do this.)

Not sure if I can get all this done before the 2nd semester starts. If not I will have to wait until May/June to enroll next year.

So I decided to go with the BS in Computer Engineering since that is the only thing the college offers that fits well with my work experience. Honestly though, I'm a bit intimidated with the required classes.

http://su.edu.ph/resources/college-of-engineering-and-design/bscpe-curriculum-final-1381394705.pdf

First year - first semester they have Algebra I and then.....Plane and Spherical Trigonometry?! Then in the second semester they have Algebra and Analytic Geometry and Differential Calculus?! Algebra I'm fine with but trig and calculus?! :nailbiting: Also they are showing 10 classes in the first semester. That's a bit extreme isn't it? I thought 6 classes a semester was a full-time job but 10? Yikes! Maybe that's not the case, I have a lot to do before I figure out the class schedules.

Another problem I see is that it is a 5 year gig. The GI bill only covers 4 years as far as I know. I will have to pay the last year out of pocket....which isn't a huge deal but it will cost me about a grand. IMO it would be worth it.

Here are Silliman's course fees for last year. Estimated Tuition & Fees 2013-2014

I'm not 100% if that is per year or per semester. Could cost me 800 or 1600. Not really a big deal, it is what it is.

This is pretty much all that I know at this point. I'll keep this thread updated as I move further along.

@nwlivewire I think you were planning on going to school here. I think bringing your college records is a must to avoid some serious delays in case the school does end up demanding official records from the school.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    They do this so that unscrupulous people don't modify their records... It gets sent in sealed envelope directly to the educational facility you are transferring to or employer etc. Whoever asked for it! For what it's worth. They do the same thing in USA if you transfer schools. Hope this helps!

The rest is just the way they do it here in the PI.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The ex has a kid going to Silliman. I think it's more expensive than the other schools. I think roughly $200 / month for the school year. Elementary for the other schools, which might be the same as the college costs for these schools, is around $800 per year.

Computer Engineering? You really want to give yourself that much work? What's your math background? Generally this is a math-heavy major. And the pre-reqs are setup so that you don't have a lot of wiggle room compared to other majors. There is a web of requirements on both math and computer science.

Why not learn something useful, like cooking? :wink:

I would just walk around campus and follow the hottest chicks to see what classes they are taking. Whatever major has the most of those classes is what I would take.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    lol Computer Engineering is useful for me (my gf is covering the cooking with her classes). It's the only course they have that fits with my work history and interests. Any other class I took would just be me wasting my time and I would gain absolutely nothing from them. Not interested in chasing college girls around and I find them (along with most teenagers) rather annoying; I'd like to avoid as many of them as possible.
    I am aware that the major is math heavy. Algebra and trig I'm not too worried with....Calculus will be a challenge but I'm alright with that. I'm hoping that the classes won't be a joke and I can actually gain something from it. Also the price is not really a concern, the VA will be paying the bills, plus about 65k/month living allowance, minus the 5th year.

On topic: I went to immigration today to ask about transferring to a Student Visa. They said I needed to have an admission letter, among other things, from Silliman to apply for the visa. Naturally, Silliman told me that I needed to have a student visa to gain admission. (When I told the lady at immigration this they smiled and said Silliman knows the process and should have told me that from the start.) :meh:

I guess tomorrow I will go back to Silliman to get the appropriate documents. I could have just looked at this page to see what I needed but I guess I wanted to do this the hard way.

5. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Remember you're in the PI and you only get the right answer IF you ask the right question! :banghead: Don't expect a detailed explanation either as it is not forthcoming... Life in the PI :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Our #1 son fininshed the 5-year Computer Engineering degree at Silliman last sem and is now taking the Master of Engineering course, he's now 20 yo. #2 son is 4th year of the same course and is 18.

Son #1 blazed through the undergraduate degree but #2 had to retake a couple of tough math courses and now is having problems scheduling prerequisite courses, next sem 3 courses he needs are all scheduled at the same hour. Many fellow students are taking 6-7 years to complete that degree.

In hindsight our younger guy probably should have gone with the Computer Science degree, only 4 years and most of the same programming courses. Here you must go 5 years to be called an Engineer with much designing and burning circuit boards and heavy math.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That's one of the challenges of these sorts of majors. They have a tangled web of pre-reqs. Many of the classes have pre-reqs in both math and courses related to the major. The speed in which you get through the major depends on your ability to knock out these classes. If a class is full or you fail a class then you can add a semester or more as opposed to just cramming it in somewhere else.

This generally isn't a holiday major. You have to do real work.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    I am curious as to what the difference is between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

My Filipina wife has a 4 year BS degree in Computer Science from AMA in Bacolod City.

The one thing I can say is that when she was going to continue her education in Florida, they had her college transcripts from AMA sent to an organization in Miami (Josef Silny & Associates) in order to find out if all her credits she received from AMA would transfer to any accredited university in the US ... Suprisingly, her credit evaluation came back from Josef Silny as equal to the same degree from an accredited university in the US .... So, she lost no credit from previously taken subjects from AMA in the Philippines when transferring to the US.

Moral of this story .... Make sure that whatever school / degree you are taking in the Philippines does in fact equal to the same thing as in the US.

I was worried that when her 4 year BS degree in Computer Science was evaluated in the US, that it would come back as equal to maybe a 2 year Associates degree ... but it was evaluated as if she had earned the same 4 year degree in the US.

Same problem happens with registered nurses who received there education in the Philippines ... If these nurses did not graduate from an "Accredited" nursing school in the Philippines, the state Board of Nursing won't allow them to take the test that allows them to be licensed in whatever state they want to work in the US ... And if the Board of Nursing in the US won't alow the nurse to take the exams, she / he can never work as an RN in the US.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Computer Science focuses on the software side. Engineering focuses on the hardware.

10. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Wrye, good luck with your program. I went to college in the Philippines in the 1980's on the GI bill. One thing regarding the 4 year vs 5 year stipend. I know the post 9-11 program is vastly different from the Vietnam-era GI bill I had, but back then, benefits were only paid when actually attending school - not during summer vacation. So back then at least, the 48 months of benefits could stretch out to almost 5 academic years if you had a summer break each year (at that time I think we were off from end of March-beginning of June). I also noticed on the VA Weams website that your program is already accredited which is good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1