Dumaguete Info Search

Globe issues?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DavyL200, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What is your main connection? (sorry if you said before and I forgot)

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. karebear

karebear DI New Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hello! Is Globe the only internet provider in the Valencia area?

4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    My Globe which is a business line is still doing alright but hasn't been running as it should be for the last couple weeks. I pay for a 7Mbps business line and generally would get 5.5-6Mbps before but a fair bit less now but I can still download and stream *alright*.

After LOTS of trouble shooting I found that it is serious network conjestion on their end to their servers and tried explaining on the phone and techs how about it and to explain how to see. Of course that went nowhere and they said they are working on it but of course nothing as usual.

For anyone wanting to check. Go to your routers page (192.168.254.254/index.htm is the one for my router) and Device Info and then ADSL Statistics (Globe DSL btw). Look for a line saying SNR Margin Down Stream and SNR Margin Up Stream. A number of 10+ is average and 20+ good/very good. Below 10 is poor to p*ss poor (even not working). What I have my Up Stream is so pathetic that it can't even maintain a stable connection at times since your computer is constantly sending info up and its opening web pages, streaming a video, and so forth while it may not be sending much up it still is and that signal is getting lost and timing out.

I tried explaining this to techs as well and utterly utterly clueless.

For anyone wanting to access to their globe modems admin mode (I'm betting same PW for all their routers and not just the business ones but I could be wrong)
    Login: admin
    PW: 3UJUh2VemEfUtesEchEC2d2e

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Router login could also be user/user or admin/admin but the one above is a tech login which can be found on the Internet.
    Our downstream runs at around 22.5 and upstream around 25.5 at the moment.
    And as goes for those idiots in that call center in Manila,I'm sure they just follow a script as others do. They also require people with probs to hardwire their router to a laptop now to diagnose any issues. One reason I cannot deal with them anymore and just talk to our tech guys who contract to globe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am over in Combado Bacong (1 km up Valencia Hwy and 200m towards Bacong), have the 5mb postpaid plan and right now (9:50am wed) getting about 4.9mbps up and down. SNR moves between 15-18, don't see separate up/down SNR in my list.

7. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I have no idea - it was already installed and working when we moved in so I never bothered to shop around.

8. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    We have an SNR margin down 32dB and up 6dB. Connection is stable at 5117 kbps downstream and 1204 kbps upstream.

There is a big difference between Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and the SNR margin - the former is, simply speaking, the electrical quality of your telephone line. The longer the distance to be covered until the next piece of Globe's infrastructure, and the worse the condition of the wire on the way (corroded connectors somewhere etc), the lower the SNR. Electrical noise from other wires nearby or influx from other electrical devices (i.e. fluorescent lights close to the telephone cable or router) will also reduce the overall SNR. These numbers (20+ good, less than 10 very poor / unable to even connect) are such absolute SNR values, you cannot use them to judge the SNR margin given by your router.

The SNR margin is the difference between the actual SNR of your line and the minimal SNR required to connect at a given DSL speed (routers determine the SNR of the line and then decide for a speed to connect with). A low margin number below 10 is a sign that the current speed your modem is connecting with (usually that's written somewhere next to the SNR margin numbers) is likely the maximum your line can do on a physical level. So with our SNR margin numbers, we could possibly get more downstream if we got a better Globe plan (32dB margin means there's plenty of room), but our upstream would likely stay the same due to the already low SNR margin of 6.

My point is: an SNR margin below 10 is not a problem if your modem is connected at the rate you are paying for. If the SNR margin is low while your modem is connected at a lower speed than you pay for, you can use this knowledge to get a cheaper plan so at least you don't pay for bandwidth that Globe cannot deliver due to the physical constraints of your telephone line. Note that I am referring to the connection speed as written on your modem status page, not to download speeds you actually achieve - these vary widely by time of day and moon phase and what not as we all now.

Another interesting figure in this context is line attenuation, which describes the distance between you and the DSL provider's exchange - the higher this number, the further you are away, so small numbers are better. We have around 2dB here in Valencia not far from the plaza which is considered pretty good.
    There are only two ways to improve this: you can either move to a different location closer to Globe's exchange, or Globe could build a new exchange closer by and connect you there (I wouldn't want to wait for that to happen). Changing to another DSL provider will not help to improve this number since they usually use the very same telephone line and just connect it to a different outlet at the exchange.

That works on our non-business tattoo router as well as does user / user (which is enough to check those ADSL connection details).

9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    It doesn't explain why someone would get a very good/excellent downstream SNR vs a p*ss poor upstream SNR. For me I run about 30SNR downstream and upstream fluxuates. If its around 6 I find myself getting disconnected now and then from game servers and such as I do a fair amount of online gaming which requires a steady stable connection but not needing a high bandwidth connection. If its running an SNR of 10+ I don't tend to get random disconnects.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Th
    That's actually what I've been asking myself as well - why is the upstream so bad compared to the downstream? I also see a lot of crc errors logged in the modem on the upstream vs none for downstream, which can hardly be explained with the electric qualities of the wire since those are equal in both directions. Don't know what they're doing wrong here...