Dumaguete Info Search

Globe issues?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by DavyL200, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Didn't pay 1st, they upped the speed today and are putting the charge on the bill when I get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 92
    hey guys...
    i'm enjoying this thread and wondering about your plans, especially AlwaysRt and DavyL200 . do you have a code name for your plans?

i see rt is wireless, what about you davyL, are you on cable or wireless?

i'm wireless and doing surfing only GOSURFE999 with Globe Prepaid GoSAKTO (p999). it's All-day Surfing valid for 30 Days but the data cap is 800mb before they throttle me. actually i've been throttled as low as 500mb and one day i download about 2500mb before i got the axe (???).

but if i watch the data cap, i can theoretically download a movie almost everyday if the video is under 800mg.

i'm 3G and it's noon on monday and i just did a ookla speed test, using the default settings, and got 5.49 down and .92 up and 4.9 down on fast.com. i like fast .com cuz... it's fast and all i want to know, until i get more educated, is the down speed.

i usually download videos around 5 am cuz the daytime speed can get pathetic at times but seeing i'm 10km from the nearest globe or smart antenna, i can't complain tho i do a fair bit of mumbling.

i'm also learning to use a free bandwidth meter available at SoftPerfect : software for networks, enterprises and developers (scroll down for the free version)
    it look to be a good thing and it should help me keep track of my data usage.

if anyone else cares to post their plans? please do so.

thanks guys...

3. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We took on the 5 meg plan before they decided to screw everyone with data limits. Ours is DSL and he have a limit of 15gig every 24 hrs. And are careful to make sure we pay on time as do not want to lose this package.

4. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I started the same as you are doing now. Now I am on the postpaid p1,299 plan (10mbps speed and 50GB total for the month - no daily limit, just for the month and add on data packages are available that do not expire). 50GB a month is a lot of data but when I get on a movie kick or a new series I can go over in a hurry. To deal with that I save up downloads until I have 30GB - 40GB to download then switch the postpaid router with the prepaid router I used to use. With SurfAlert turned OFF and the sim set to TIME instead of DATA, I load p20-p40 and start downloading after midnight when I typically get a 25mbps connection. As long as the movies I want to download are seeded well I have gotten 40GB for p15 (Globe didn't cut me off for 2 hours instead of the 45 min I paid for), I am having problems now and just using my postpaid to finish downloading some of the 1950s scifi movies which are seeded so poorly 15kbps is max speed for them.

5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    That is interesting to know. I didn't know Netflix made it into the Philippines until just now. Of course I don't think it matters much to me anymore because I liked Netflix for the hollywood movies but don't really enjoy tv shows for the most part or much of the things Netflix makes themselves. However I may need to look into the free month just to see.

What would concern me though is the caps are so low on a daily limit that I'm not sure if one would be able to watch much unless very low resolution on a mobile device. Globe still has its 1Gb a day FUP (fair usage policy) on residential plans even if you have a 30gb or 60gb a month plan. After that 1Gb you get throttled hard. I have a 7Mbps business line with a 10Gb a day FUP but after 4-5Gb lately I get seriously throttled while it used to be after 7-8Gb. A 1080p(HD) 1 1/2 hour movie runs about 1.5Gb if in the right file type. a 720p movie that is 1 1/2 hour movie is around 800-900Mb. Better quality (audio/video) can easily be 2-6Gb for a single movie.

6. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I set up an account and looked around a bit but haven't watched anything yet so can't answer your questions. I haven't noticed a daily throttle limit since I switched from prepaid to postpaid.

7. AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Update, got my bill today, they forgot to include the p1,000 "upgrade charge". So I ended up on the 10mb p1,299 plan from my 5mb 1,599 plan with no fees.

8. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 332
    Our globe internet has turned very slow for the last 2 days, anyone else experience this ?

9. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Yep, there is a definite difference in the last few days....Not as bad as last month, but its not the end of the month yet lol

10. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Get the address of the place your thinking of renting/buying and better to be able to find it on google maps as well. Then go to Globe, PLDT, and the local cable companies and see what they have available. Your looking for a DSL line or a cable line and hopefully to have at least two options available in your location. As far as how good it will be you'd pretty much need to find a person living in said area to test it which is unlikely to find so just having fingers crossed on that.

• Like Like x 1