Dumaguete Info Search

Goats and chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by ShawnM, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have a small structure next to the nipa that we were using as a dirty kitchen area when we were building the house. I did not get around to tearing it down as it has a roof and I was storing some equipment there. Since my Belgian is in heat I decided to make it into a pen where I could put the Dalmatian when our girl was out in the yard.

I am against chaining or penning up a dog, but at the same time I do not want these 2 to have any more pups together if possible. I do want to keep them both intact for the future as they are papered dogs and some pure blood Belgian pups a year or so later would be interesting as well as letting the Dalmatian spread his seed with another Dalmatian blood line.

It was just tearing out the benches and table, some 2X4's for the top of the 4' high chicken wire (which I will finish tomorrow) a gate and it is a decent little area. Once things started coming together I got an idea about it being a good pen for a goat as well.

Our "subdivision" has not built up yet so it is mostly plants/grass everywhere; we have a neighbor with a couple goats and all they do is take them out in the morning, tie them up to feed all day and then bring them home in the evening. Pretty much no cost other than buying the goat, with vaccines and some minimal supplemental feed.

The first time I ate goat was the first time I visited the wife's family, I've had it a number of times since but am not a big fan. I can't see having more than two goats at a time and what the wife does with them is on her...I am only interested in the dung for the garden. I will start with one to see how much it can (produce?) from sunset to sunrise.

Another thing I have been thinking about is a chicken tractor (I do have some time on my hands at the moment so I may think too much), if not familiar ask our good friend Mr. Google, it is basically a mobile coop that you can move around each day. I have a pretty small area to work with so I was thinking 3 or 4 laying chickens. They can forage for bugs each day and it should not be too much extra feed to keep them going. The benefits would be some eggs as well as fertilizer. There are some pretty good design ideas out there and I still have a bunch of wood left over, so some split bamboo to buy and some wheels and it should be a fun weekend project.

Just a couple ideas I have and things to keep me occupied.

Shawn

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Of all the completely random thoughts I have had I never once thought to myself, "this would be a great pen for a goat!" :hilarious: Best I keep my random thoughts to myself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. philofoz

philofoz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 7
    When I think about doing something here the back home way, usually it just isn't going to work, (not cost effective, can't find the materials, etc.) But the moveable chicken coup made using bamboo and cheap wire has got me thinking, as the most likely predator here will probably be the resident dog, and if there's not problem there then why not.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    There may be a large invisible predator of chickens here. My neighbor had a number of chicken and chicks that would roam about, not a problem until they decide to dig up my gardens. Recently I notice a severe drop in population. When I asked the neighbor she said almost all of her chicken died from illness very quickly. I am not sure what the issue was but it is something that should be of concern to those raising chickens as she is apparently not the only one in the neighborhood to be affected.
    I am hoping the roosters that start crowing at 4:30 in the morning catch whatever it is the chickens are dying from. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wanna take bets on if they ate those viral chickens? :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Our neighbour had thesame problem here a few weeks ago, lost the lot.....and others around the place lost theirs as well..
    Im betting it was some variation of bird flu , as they seemed to get very lethargic for a few days before dying. some even died during the night, and fell from the tree where they were roosting......

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I think those were my neighbors chicken symptoms too. I see a few still around... waiting for the roosters stop crowing... :wink:

There certainly do not give the problem much publicity here.

8. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    hahaha yep, there has been a big reduction of roosters crowing here......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Talking to some neighbours this morning, it seems a regular occurrence about this time of year, what with the Heat now on us it would seem that they are scratching deep into the earth to keep cool. One wonders what can be in that earth that could maybe be poisonous to them ( lets face it anything can happen here.) free range are supposed to be the hardiest and I don't think they can be any more Free range than around these parts? :wink: A virus maybe but all over the Province? If it is, then I wonder what the Authorities will do.
    ( what part of Nothing will they use?)

JP :bag: :whistling:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Naa this was a few weeks ago, when the wearher was a lot cooler.... they seemed to have problems with their eyes as well......
    And you can bet nothing will be done about it.....like my g.f says when the plants are showing some form or other of nutrient deficiency
    or lack of water........its natural:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1