Dumaguete Info Search

Clothing & Accessories Gold and pawn question

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by koolaukid, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    When they make the item, is it assayed for purity and hallmarked?

2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Would you believe it if they did?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Most pawn shops in this country are mainly in the money transfer business.. If you have a valuable piece of jewelry you want to pawn they will offer a price for used costume jewelry. If you stick to your guns they will tell you to go to another branch where there is a certified assayer or gemologist to give you a proper appraisal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3
    Actually I would. My thought is that if the pawnshop is paying for an item, it's in their best interest to make sure the item is worth whatever they are paying. And that they would have professionals on hand who are capable of placing a proper valuation on an item brought in for pawn.

Another question. I often see a term used but don't know the meaning. What is "recibo"? I've Googled it and it literally translates to "receipt" but there is obviously more to the term when used in the context of redeeming a pawned item. Anyone?

5. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-

Spanish for receipt n proof n slip n voucher n ticket n recibo m receipt n slip n receiving n invoice n bill n ticket n reception n voucher n
    ·
    deposit receipt n acquittance n
    ·
    chit n

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    It is very hard here in the Phil's if not impossible to buy gold cheap. Buying it for the daily value rate is already a bargain. Pawnshops are professionals, they know what they sell. Gold should be marked with a hallmark, but there are many different ones and also fakes, so be careful always. Best thing to do to be on the safe side is testing, some of the jewelry shops around the public market in Duma offer that service. But you have to trust them also

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1