Dumaguete Info Search

Gone for 8 hrs and problems already!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mighty Mouse, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    All these suggestions sound nice....until you look at it from the eyes of the people running the forum. I don't think the vbulletin software even has such options, meaning everything would have to be manually done. I don't think these guys are making enough money to justify such a headache. As long as the forum remains a Filipino owned site that is registered in the Philippines it must walk on eggshells concerning libel (they are publishers and technically the "owner" of all content). It's the nature of the beast. If you take a look at the WHOIS of most Philippine forums designed to cater to expats you will see that most are registered and operated outside of the Philippines.

2. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    The Dude might have something there "Fort Knox" , "The Bunker" , something that is more difficult to enter , what was the post limit ? maybe that needs an increase ? Anybody got thoughts on viable additional security methods that could be introduced ?
    (Just as suggestions of course , Admin will decide:wink:)

3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Also, just to be clear. I'm not directing any negativity to Larry or to the forum in general. I knew what I was signing on to. It was an experiment and we found some holes. :wink:

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Point taken SM. Maybe we can offer Larry suggestions on what to do with the forum.
    I will shamelessly start, given some of my personal barrio comments were illegally published and distributed.
    My suggestion: Kill it, clean it, and do not resurrect it. No way (I think) to assure privacy.

PISSED OFF PATO

5. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    ANC interview, Senator Ed Angara clarified that posting a comment where you get to share your thoughts is covered under “protected expression”.

Done a little bit of digging today , emphasis on little bit , don't want to put too much out in the big wide open space , but there is more.
    IMO you really need a local legal smartarse to interpret everything , to be accurate on this, that and what if , etc

6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I thought Rhoody had run into some problems with a post in TripAdvisor or something like that as well. I think the bottom line is that you don't even want to deal with the prospect of problems.

And yes, this would only work if the software would support it. It could actually be a somewhat simple change. I can volunteer looking into what it would take. Admin has to cool off enough to even think about the idea though. :wink:

7. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Part of the problem might be that the barrio was created for one purpose and we sort of expanded that into something else entirely. I don't think the barrio was necessarily meant for getting around the general forum rule we are discussing.

8. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    I think it goes without saying that we are all behind Larry 100% , whatever decisions are made

9. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Actually, my last post is off. Someone broke one of the central rules of the Barrio. It didn't matter what thread it was. That the thread was a bit of a sensitive nature just made it worse.

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Who knew Edward Snowden Sr. joined our forum?
    And oh by the way, the other Snowden is considered a traitor and criminal.