Dumaguete Info Search

Good Morning People/Wife is Shopping

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by oztony, Aug 30, 2014.

1. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I feel more threatened inside the house. Aking Asawa can have a terrible temper LOL

2. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Hi Tony here is a web comparison for Melborne/Duma

Cost of Living Comparison Between Dumaguete, Philippines And Melbourne, Australia

Ouch. Take care..:eek::eek::eek:

Dumaguete / Bacolod ( For your Wine and Oranges ? )

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&country2=Philippines&city1=Bacolod&city2=Dumaguete

3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Very Interesting Firefly, I especially liked the part regards Crime for me, answers some questions I was wondering about...

Crime Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Australia&city2=Brisbane

Cost of Living Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Australia&city2=Brisbane

Property Prices Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    http://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Australia&city2=Brisbane

Health Care Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    http://www.numbeo.com/health-care/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Australia&city2=Brisbane

4. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+

*Reposted as broken links did not work before; (thanks Firefly)
    Very Interesting Firefly, I especially liked the part regards Crime for me, answers some questions I was wondering about...

Crime Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    Crime Comparison Between Dumaguete, Philippines And Brisbane, Australia. Safety Comparison.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Dumaguete, Philippines And Brisbane, Australia

Property Prices Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    Property Prices Comparison Between Dumaguete, Philippines And Brisbane, Australia

Health Care Comparison Between Dumaguete and Brisbane
    Health Care Comparison Between Dumaguete, Philippines And Brisbane, Australia

5. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Ref the Health care. Should read 1st world v 3rd World.. Only 4 Contributors from Duma v only 12 from Brisbane.

6. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Health Cover in the Philippines

I have emailed PhilHealth regards cover for myself, my wife and daughter, but some have suggested that Philhealth is very basic at best and that I should be taking out Private Insurance for a better cover. PhilHealth seemed very accommodating with what I thought were very good rates for Cover, but I have not yet looked into WHAT they do cover.

What are the thoughts of other ex-Pats on this? What cover do you have if any? In our latter years it would make sense to have a higher if not the best cover in case we are faced with a major Health problem.

Any suggestions? :confused:

*Edit added;

As for First World; Do not believe everything you hear, read or watch on TV. Yes we may live in Countries that have good medical but there is still a gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.

I had my accident back in November 1984. I was working 70+ Hours a week and all was well up to that moment, then once I was relegated as Disabled everything seemed to change. All of a sudden I was under the bottom of the Barrell looking up! Since then, I have been p*ss poor broke, 30 years on and it is still hard to come to terms with living in poverty everyday, getting a Pension, paying Bills, buying Medicine and a little food then having NOTHING left for the next 13 days.

My leg is broken, Doctors told me I would need to wait until I turned 65 to be entitled to gain an artificial Hip joint, which could have fixed my problem 30 years ago leaving me to be a productive member of society instead of a Burden, despite working part time for the first 10 years with my broken leg until pain stopped me.

Now I am told because my Body rejected the steel plate, a Hip replacement would be too risky due to rejection.

I saw 230+ of the Top Orthopedic Surgeons and their underlings at a Private convention, I felt that finally I would have hope of being able to work again, but after 3 days deliberation they phoned me to tell me they could not repair my right leg which is broken, but they could cut 6 inches from my left leg to minimise my Limp.

I asked them WHY they couldn't fix my right leg instead? "Due to rejection of the steel which is a foreign body" was their reply...
    I asked them HOW were they going to do my left leg? They told me they would cut out 6 inches of Bone, drive a steel spike thru the centre of the Bone and pin it. I asked; "But, if the replacement Hip is a foreign body, what would that make the steel spike and pins?" :confused:

"DOH!!" :rolleyes:

So; living in a modern first world, some things for some reasons seem to be beyond the help of the Medical Profession, like when my Dr (who was the State's then Top Orthopedic Surgeon) put me back together, when laying on my back in the bed, my left foot, my toes pointed towards the ceiling as they should, but my right foot laid flat on its side with my toes pointing at the windows beside my bed, leaving me to walk with my right foot pointing 3/4 to the right like a Duck instead of straight ahead... :rolleyes:

I often wonder what would happen if I was the Son of the Prime Minister? :(

7. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    If you are only wanting coverage if you should end up in the hospital, PhilHealth will cover a large portion of that bill. If you have a chronic illness, however, and the possibility exists you may be hospitalized for that condition twice in close proximity in time, they will not pay again. I think there is a 60 day (maybe 90 day) period that must lapse. There was another thread on here discussing that. Anyway, my husband had a chronic illness. He was hospitalized 5 days in May for pneumonia, PhilHealth paid a large portion of that bill. I think we paid 14,000php. He went back in June with pneumonia, but checked himself out early, against his doctor and my wishes. The bill was paid 100% by PhilHealth, however, when he decided he made a bad decision and went back 3 days later, Phil Health would not cover that admission. It was all out of pocket. 3 weeks, (11 days on vent in ICU) later, his bill was almost 200,000php. (which by U.S. comparison is nothing). So, I am going to have to pay that. HCH gave me until November since I had burial expenses, etc...they are much friendlier to deal with than Silliman.
    Anyway, you have to assess your situation. Phil Health does not cover doctor visits or other medical expenses outside of a hospital admission, but these costs are manageable here. IMHO.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    hmmmmmmmmmm. Leading Question Brian LOL

We would still like you :rolleyes:

Local office, real Street Opposite Noreco II (I hear some good things but have no Direct personal Knowledge)

Philam Life | Individuals | Protection | Health | Mediguard

They have Various Web sites but this one I think is for family Cover also.

Hope it helps a little.

JP

9. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Before meeting my Filipina Asawa, my long range plan was to eventually retire in Costa Rica. I traveled there 3-4 times, found nothing I did not like about the country. Very stable Government, no standing army, so much of the taxes collected were put into infrastructure. Crime rate was typical for a 3rd world country. Very kind and gentle people not unlike the experience I had with aking Asawa's family in the Duma area. Great Medical coverage with top notch Dr's, Dentist and hosptals. Less than 4hrs travel back to FLA. costing around $300.00. Bam.....fell in Love....no matter what the cost to see her seemed inconsequential. Fast forward until today, and my biggest concern is Health Care. I am 62, Mavic is 55-60(depending on which day she is asked). She is quite comfortable to pay any amount out of pocket because of her financial status. Me, obviously not so much. It's a shame that with so many expats in-country. That some form of help would not
    come from our Governments which we all contributed to for so many years while in our home country.

10. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Hi Brian. Sorry for your misfortune, I was just being honest. Most of the best Philippine doctors will be working in Oz, Japan, USA or Europe where they will be some would say overpaid rather than underpaid. You have seen the comparisons.
    They no longer use steel in hip replacements, I now know there are still lots of complications with every different intricate procedure.
    Hip replacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hip Replacement Implant Materials
    Technology is forever advancing and I would love you to benefit in the future if you could.
    Ask your good Lady what would have happened after your accident if you had been a Philippine man living in the Philippines.
    Money can buy you better care but it cannot repair everything. Peace and take care.