Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Got vaccinated

1. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Word of mouth had me hot footing it down to Valencia LGU Gym this morning, and I got the first shot of Aztrazeneca. They were vaxxing Senior Citizens. Chica chica is many frontliners were quarantined, so they moved to Senior Citizens. There were a lot of people that showed up later and it's unclear if everyone is getting vaxxed today. Some of what went on is humorous, expats are predictable (including me). Met a very nice fellow, and a very patient older lady. No reaction so far. I'm happy and kudos to the very understanding and professional staff.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Milowood

Milowood DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Helicopter Pilot
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Got my second dose of Sinovac here in Alfonso, Cavite today. All residents, foreigners and expats treated the same, professional and friendly staff. I saw zero signs of xenophobia. The Filipino difference was that we were scheduled at various times through the day up till 5pm. When I arrived at my appointment time of 1:30 I was the last one to get the shot. Everyone else had turned up at the 8am start and waited.

• Informative Informative x 7
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    That is perfectly true. Healthy people have died after vaccination - for Covid and other diseases. And in the case of a new set of vaccines the long-term effects are totally unknown.

So you have to balance that partially known and unknown risk against the risk of getting the disease. You have to consider your vulnerability (age, other illnesses, exposure risks) and the risk of serious illness or death from the disease if you get infected.

No-one can answer that question for you - it is a perfectly individual decision based on your own risk assessment (and we all assess risks differently).

There is the dimension of helping society by being part of a herd immunity - but, again, you personally have to weigh that against your own interest.

People risk assess in many areas of life - from sports to travelling to drinking to smoking, etc. There is nothing wrong in considering every aspect and making a decision you feel comfortable with - and then changing it at any time you wish. Personal freedom.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    In case you mean me? I studied and worked in the profession years ago - PCR tests did not exist at that time. So anyone can read all the latest information, especially on this virus, and be equally informed.

Just to widen your post: There is just so much information being put out now - some of it, as expected, conflicting. I basically switched off! I will wait until years after the pandemic has ended(?) to read what really happened, what they did badly and what they did well (they are still analysing WW2!).

I look at the current crisis from a personal viewpoint - just trying to avoid getting infected and giving advice to family members. I don't have too much concern about the bigger picture as it is out of my control (locally and globally). If people try to control what they cannot, then it leads to anxieties.

I would never advise anyone (especially re. vaccination) what to do in a situation like this - I have reasons for my choices but keep them to myself now. I will be making either a good choice or a bad choice - and time will tell. Everyone has to make their own choice.

All I will say is the obvious - this is going to go on a long time and then, I suspect, will be followed by financial consequences that are currently being suppressed (with inflation and subsequent increases in interest rates) - and no one knows where that is going to lead.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My barangay came by yesterday and put my name on the list for senior citizen AZ vaccine injection. Hope to get the vaccine before I get covid. Probably a close race. Reminds me of the old saying, ‘race to the outhouse with Willie Makeit’.

• Like Like x 5
  6. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Here in Pamplona, they came by to sign me up for Sinovac ... yeah I know its Chinese but at this point any vaccine is better than no vaccine IMO.... next week they say...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines showed effectiveness against symptomatic disease from B.1.617.2, the so-called Indian variant, British researchers found.

Two doses of Pfizer's vaccine showed 87.9% efficacy (95% CI 78.2%-93.2%) against the variant, while two doses of
    AstraZeneca's showed 59.8% efficacy (95% CI 28.9%-77.3%), reported Jamie Lopez Bernal, PhD, of Public Health England in London, and colleagues in a preprint manuscript online.
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/92753
    Vaccine effectiveness after one dose against B.1.617.2 was similarly low for both vaccines, at 33%.

• Informative Informative x 4
  8. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    This is from the WHO report on Sinovac. I note especially the clause "On the basis of available evidence..." And the request at the end of continuing data retrieval from users.
    "WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization (SAGE) has also completed its review of the vaccine. On the basis of available evidence, WHO recommends the vaccine for use in adults 18 years and older, in a two-dose schedule with a spacing of two to four weeks. Vaccine efficacy results showed that the vaccine prevented symptomatic disease in 51% of those vaccinated and prevented severe COVID-19 and hospitalization in 100% of the studied population."

Few older adults (over 60 years) were enrolled in clinical trials, so efficacy could not be estimated in this age group. Nevertheless, WHO is not recommending an upper age limit for the vaccine because data collected during subsequent use in multiple countries and supportive immunogenicity data suggest the vaccine is likely to have a protective effect in older persons. There is no reason to believe that the vaccine has a different safety profile in older and younger populations. WHO recommends that countries using the vaccine in older age groups conduct safety and effectiveness monitoring to verify the expected impact and contribute to making the recommendation more robust for all countries.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    I didn't report you, but this is misleading. Nobody has gotten brain fog from Sinovac that I have read. The brain fog comes from the active Covid, not Sinovac. Your paper is on Covid breaking the brain-blood barrier, not Sinovac. They shouldn't be connected in the same sentence. However, I'm open. I can very easily see how Covid could get into the brain, but not the spike proteins. The spike proteins should just get stuck in a blood vessel wall, or filtered out of the blood. The blood vessel wall cell ultimately dies and is replaced. Point me to the spot in a paper where it states the spike protein by itself does this. Perhaps this is why brain fog is not associated with Sinovac? Because it actually doesn't penetrate into the brain?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1