Dumaguete Info Search

Got vaccinated

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Toto, May 20, 2021.

1. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    According to this announcement, the infection rate here is well out of hand. This is a desperate plea for government assistance. The testing lab at the provincial hospital, privately donated, can do 500 tests per day. Others are sent to Cebu; there is a delay of several days during which the patient must be quarantined.

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Ya think so. It was them at the barangay hall who asked for my cell number so the mid-wife could contact me when she got in.:rolleyes:

3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    We do not know how many are presymptomatic vs asymptomatic. Both of these groups will not report symptoms when being tested as first person contacts of a confirmed case.

Here the contact tracers are very aggressive at tracking down the contacts of confirmed cases. These contacts are referred to as Persons Under Monitoring (PUM) These contacts are then tested and isolated at the isolation facility or at home. Because they were identified as contacts many of them who have been infected have not started exhibiting symptoms yet. This is the value of contact tracing in that it isolates people before they start infecting other people.

This is a very challenging virus as it is spread by both presymptomatic and asymptomatic.

Approximately 59 percent of all transmission is caused by presymptomatic individuals who hadn’t yet developed symptoms and asymptomatic people who never developed symptoms, according to the studyTrusted Source published last week in JAMA Network.

About 35 percent of transmission is thought to have come from presymptomatic individuals, or those who haven’t yet developed symptoms but will soon.

Nearly 24 percent of transmission is thought to be caused by asymptomatic people who never experience symptoms.

“Even a good negative test is just a freeze-frame at that moment,” Jubanyik said. There’s a 14-day incubation period, so while a person may test negative one day, they could test positive the next day.

Most COVID-19 Cases Come from People Without Symptoms
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/most-covid-19-cases-come-from-people-without-symptoms

Now that the contact tracing has become overwhelmed the only way to slow this down is with more restrictions on people interacting. (lock-downs)

4. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    This is a result of the aggressiveness of the contact tracing. An aggressive contact tracing program will catch infected people while they are presymptomatic.

A good contact tracing program will track down the contacts of a confirmed case and test them before they show symptoms.

I remember Cebu was locking down Puroks and testing everyone that lived there. This way they would identify and isolate people before they showed symptoms.

In Manila they waited for people to come to the health clinics complaining of symptoms. As a result Manila had a high number of symptomatic cases.

Now that our contact tracing efforts are overwhelmed the only way to slow this down is to lock-down.

5. OP
    OP
    Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    With respect, I don't think so. Manila's contact tracing looked just as good as Cebu's. Manila cut their teeth, but had huge dense areas. We know more about Cebu because it's close and we're interested. Finally, a fellow from Baguio was called in to rectify contact tracing because everyone was doing it differently across the Philippines. If what you wrote was true, then 85% of the people in Cebu had symptoms and no one noticed it. I think they would notice it. Since we know follow up was done, they'd be questioned, and looked over before release from quarantine, and didn't we start with 30 days quarantine? People are afraid and would likely admit to any symptoms. People in Cebu are better liars? Manila has bad liars? I know Cebu was aggressive, but they also went off later so they had the benefit of experience. I went on the boards and lauded the success amid a bunch of critical expats.

No, the Doctors and medical personnel would've caught that. They all knew about pre-symptomatic, which gets lumped into asymptomatic. I went all through that back before I discussed it with the Doc.

6. OP
    OP
    Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    d.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
  7. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-

2. COVID-19 VACCINATIONS UPDATES:

VA Manila is reaching the end of our very successful first wave of COVID-19 vaccinations. By tomorrow, Saturday, May 29, 2021, the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic will have vaccinated approximately 20% of the enrolled Veteran population at the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic, all in just the last six weeks. This has been a tremendous undertaking and would not have been possible without the commitment and dedication of the VA Manila’s superb pharmacy, physician, nursing, and administrative staff. They have worked tirelessly to schedule vaccine appointments, administer vaccines, and ensure that every possible dose of vaccine that we had was able to be used.

VA Manila is currently working with VA leadership in Washington, DC to coordinate the shipment and delivery of a second batch of COVID-19 vaccines. While we do not yet have a confirmed date for delivery, we are actively planning and intend to administer vaccines as quickly and safely as possible once the next shipment is received.

For the second shipment, the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic is requesting the Janssen / Johnson and Johnson (J&J) vaccine. This is a one-dose vaccine option is preferred by our Veteran population in the Philippines who need to travel to Manila to receive the vaccine. Being able to complete their COVID-19 vaccination with just one visit to the Clinic, rather than two, allows us to vaccinate twice as many people as compared to a vaccine option which requires a second dose (such as Pfizer-BioNTech). The Janssen / J&J vaccine has been granted Emergency Use Authorization by both the United States and Philippines Food and Drug Administration, respectively, and is considered highly safe and effective.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SkipJack

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    At some point, when the testing becomes overwhelmed, the number of cases reported will be grossly understated.

This FB post is for the results received on May 31. It does not mention when the swab samples were taken.

Currently, the Daro barangay has waited 7 days for their results. With this we can assume that the case numbers being currently reported are a week or more old. They do not reflect the growth in the last week. At some point they will not reflect growth at all because the swab collecting team and testing lab cannot keep up. It will appear that the case numbers are leveling off when they are actually growing.

9. Obliged Friend

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    VA Manila email received continued:

“When the second vaccine delivery arrives, the Clinic will still focus our vaccination efforts on our enrolled Veteran population. Until VA Manila has been able to offer a COVID-19 vaccine to all enrolled Veterans who currently receive medical benefits at the Outpatient Clinic, we will not be able to expand vaccination efforts to non-enrolled Veterans or spouses and caregivers. The SAVE LIVES Act, HR 1276, which authorizes VA to provide vaccines to all Veterans, and spouses/caregivers, requires that VA prioritize enrolled Veterans ahead of all other groups in the absence of a readily available supply of vaccines.”

“We have received a significant number of requests from non-enrolled Veterans, spouses, and caregivers who have expressed interest in receiving a vaccine from VA Manila. At this time, VA Manila is unable to provide an estimate of when the Clinic may be able to begin vaccinating these individuals, but it will likely be at least several more months. Non-enrolled Veterans, spouses, and caregivers may wish to consider receiving a COVID-19 vaccine from any available source that is offered to you, including your local barangay, municipality, or provincial government or health department. As more vaccine supply is received by the Philippines, this may be a faster option to ensure you receive a vaccine and are protected from COVID-19. The best vaccine you can receive is the one that can get into your arm.”

The US Embassy Manila says it takes 6-8 weeks to process a passport renewal. It took 2 1/2 weeks to process mine…that’s including Air21 shipment. This was March 2021.

10. Obliged Friend

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-