Dumaguete Info Search

Gravity Powered Lights

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, Apr 25, 2016.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    and I was only emphasizing that they couldn't possibly give one to everyone that could it.

"The World Bank reports that in 2001 per capita household consumption (in constant 1995 US dollars) was $299. Household consumption includes expenditures of individuals, households, and nongovernmental organizations on goods and services, excluding purchases of dwellings." Togo, Africa annual income $299 or $25/month. Even $3.50 is 14% of total monthly income and is about the limit potential customers last year were willing to spend on window screens (all, not per window) to keep flies away from their children to reduce the chances of malaria.

gravitylight.org and from the funding site "The GravityLight Foundation is a UK registered charity, so please let us know if you are a UK tax payer to enable us to claim Gift Aid from the UK government. " (the giving away free part was in reference to Hans' comment saying they would most likey be given away free)

My comments were only intended to express an overall observation of companies with great ideas in theory that end up being out of financial reach of the stated target market and even hit the U.S. shelves with a seemingly premium retail price. If this company succeeds I will be glad, I hope they prove me wrong. With no mention of target price my spidey sense is tingling though. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Kinda stating the obvious there. :wink:

Grinding poverty sucks. Products like these (like with solar and even something as simple as window screens) actually pay for themselves over time and will end up saving the family money.....but the "here and now" is a very hard thing to get away from when you might not even know when your next glass of water or meal will come from.

It seems I didn't look all that hard.

FYI: ".org" does not mean the owner of the site is linked to a charity or non-profit. .com .org and .net are now unregulated:
    "Registrations of subdomains are processed via accredited registrars worldwide. Anyone can register a second-level domain within org, without restrictions.[4][5] In some instances subdomains are being used also by commercial sites, such as craigslist.org. According to the ICANN Dashboard (Domain Name) report, the composition of the TLD is diverse, including cultural institutions, associations, sports teams, religious, and civic organizations, open-source software projects, schools, environmental initiatives, social, and fraternal organizations, health organizations, legal services, as well as clubs, and community-volunteer groups. In some cases subdomains have been created for crisis management.[which?] Some cities, among them Rybnitsa[1] in Transnistria) also have org domain names.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yup, I totally agree. When I see it I classify it as a clue and that sets me off looking for the sites true purpose. In this case, they still aren't 100% forthcoming as they did reference a foundation but left room for there also to be a commercial for profit version also.

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't know how it works in the UK but in the US you can sell products (and even make money doing so) with "non-profits". Basically "non-profit" does not mean they are a charity and give things away for free. They have employees that need to get paid and they have a right to pay themselves for their time.

Example: the Girl Scouts are a non-profit organization that participates in charity events.....but you sure as h*ll aren't getting any Thin Mints for free. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    For anyone who often has access to power but may be occasionally without power, I would suggest getting one of the cellphone power banks with a light on it. I have the EasyAcc U-Bright 6000. It will put out 40-50 lumens continuously for about 3 days. Obviously you will turn it off during the day so you have almost 6 nights worth of emergency light from a single charge. It will also charge phones and some tablets. I had mine in my pocket while shopping at Robinson's grocery store in the mall when power went out and didn't immediately come back on. It was total darkness because the Philippines does not seem to believe that a certain percentage of fluorescent lights in a commercial building should have emergency ballasts. I think I spent about $23 USD on it and it's one of the best investments I ever made. I have had good luck with EasyAcc products, they aren't the cheapest but I think good value.

I just looked and I don't see the U-Bright 6000 offered anymore. There is a U-bright 5000 ($17 US) that puts out 3 times the light that mine did but only for 10 hours.

There is a U-Bright 3350 that is old style like mine that sells on Amazon.com for $13 US. I might pick up one of these. To double my lighting in an emergency or in case my other gets damaged. Been reliable so far but nothing is perfect.

I find the 40 lumens is ok for general purposes, beats candles, you would need to point it or reflect it at a page to read by but I would rather have more time with light than brighter light if the worst happened.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have a couple of these. Good for when you need to find something or walk around in the dark. (At least with mine because I have to hold the button down for the light.) Mine isn't so good during long brownouts as I always have phones to charge after a couple hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Mine will stay on with 2 quick pushes of the button. One push just lights the charge remaining indicator lights. I keep a Ravpower 10,400 mah battery bank for charging phones in the house should there be no power. It's scarcely bigger than a deck of cards but too dense to carry in a pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This came in the mail last week. Obviously I'm not there to hang it and test it out. I have asked that the person watching my house give me a report on setup, ease of use and functionality.

gravitylight.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Didnt take too long to get here then :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Manufactured in Africa (somewhere), shipped to London and then forwarded on to the Philippines. The shipping took 3 months to arrive in Valencia.

I was following the company and they made several announcements informing everyone who donated to the startup about what was causing delays. I'm satisfied that they decided to fix glitches instead of sending out an unfinished product to their contributers. :wink:

BTW: My $70 contribution actually turned out to be a pretty good deal:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GravityLight-Self-Powered-Portable-Hanging-Lamp/601441565
    $80 + shipping and handling on Amazon and Walmart. :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2017