Dumaguete Info Search

Gravity Powered Lights

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Only the initial run of lights which I assume is for for evaluation purposes via the donations made;

This $5 lamp is powered by gravity (and just destroyed its funding target on Indiegogo)

The initial run of 1,000 GravityLights will be distributed for free to villagers in Africa and India, the designers say. Based on the results, they will tweak the product and then seek NGO and non-profit organizations’ help in distributing it even more widely.

Thousands of backers have contributed anywhere from $10, which gets a thank-you, to $100, which pays for three GravityLights to be sent to needy villages in developing nations, a GravityLight of your own, and several other perks. And four sponsors have signed up at the $5,000 level to help the project succeed — and get their names and logos on the initial run of devices.

This $5 lamp is powered by gravity (and just destroyed its funding target on Indiegogo)

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That article was posted back in 2012. Many changes and updates were made since then. :wink:

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Off topic a Tad but does anyone Remember the Clockwork Radio? That came out of Africa I believe based on the same sort of thing ( Donation to advance)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    And let us not forget that your $70 helped pay to get this product fully functional plus may allow a free lamp being given to a needy family in Africa. Seems like you got something you like and can use and you gave something to mankind in general. WIN/WIN.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Received a post rating on this recently and just had a short brownout so thought I would update. I have had this installed for a couple years now and it is still working great. I keep my fire extinguisher and a couple Tanduay bottles filled with water in it for the weight. The light stays on for about 25 minutes. A bit longer with less weight in there (resulting in a dimmer light) or a bit shorter with another Tanduay bottle added (but a tad brighter).

PXL_20210129_122508155.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210129_122537762.NIGHT.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    Do you use it regularly or just for 'blackbrownouts'?

Had a quick look on amazon.com and the lamp that appears very similar to yours is listed OOS! Perhaps is no longer made? Then found Deciwatt, who state "
    In 2019 we stopped manufacturing GravityLight to focus on a new product called nowlight. Pull on the nowlight cord to generate electricity. A minute of pulling creates up to 2 hours of light!" Price is $119.

An earlier poster mention the physical effort of pulling the weight back up every 25 mins or so - one transforming moment in my life was when I read to stop seeing things as a chore when there is a physical activity bonus in it. So, when I trudged across my large garden carrying branches etc., I stopped thinking it was a chore but an extra piece of exercise. Big change in attitude and is part of turning win/lose or lose/lose into win/win.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I only use it for brownouts. Not much use outside of that, much like a candle.

The physical effort of pulling the weight up is very minimal. Minus the disabled, extremely frail or vertically challenged (they have to be hung quite high and the cord you pull isn't all that long) I don't see how someone could consider it a chore.

That new product seems better suited for the disabled and vertically challenged folk...but I don't spend anywhere near 1 minute pulling the weight up. More like 10-15 seconds. Although I can see the benefit of not having to stop what you are doing every 25 minutes to go pull a cord for some light.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,740 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm thinking 119 US$ is a lot of money for what's basically a combination of a dynamo (like the ones used on old pedal bikes), a battery, some leds and a fancy housing.
    This one is about 75% cheaper, but am sure there's even cheaper ones on aliexpress or lazada.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022