Dumaguete Info Search

Growing banana from seed

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I picked up some drawf musa blue java seeds; just thought they would be an interesting variety to try and grow.

I ordered 30 seeds, soaked 6 seeds for 12 hours as recommended, put 3 seeds each in two large pots of vermicompost. 10 days or so and nothing has popped up. I've read it can take 2 weeks or more but rainy season has kicked in with nice temps so hoping they will germinate. I'm starting to wonder if I need to be a bit more patient or try some of the other banana seeds I have? Never grew banana from seed so a bit clueless other than what you can get from google or youtube.

A bright side...our rain water collection tank is full, the pump I brought from Korea works like a champ and I worked our little garden area a bit today.

Our little garden area got 150 kilo of vermicompost, weeding and was only able to plant some cherry tomato and basil seeds today. Tomorrow will be Korean cucumbers (we have had great luck with them in the past), a bunch of hot peppers (seeds from the US), Korean melons (they seem do well and are nice) and garlic.

We have another 6 bags of vermicompost slated for the front of the house so that area is at least okra and perilla...the wife's choice.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,512 / -1
    I have never grown them either but the internet states that it could take from 2-3 weeks up to many months! So I think you need to be patient - however, trying other varieties at the same time might be a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Months? I guess I really need to be patient then. I do have the other garden areas to keep me occupied.

Thanks,

Shawn