Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Happy Jacks review

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You still haven't indicated that you have visited this business. I'm not interested in your anonymous 2 cents being posted here that is intended to do nothing but bring this business, that you haven't even visited, down. I've given you a permanent reply ban to this thread and any related to this restobar. If you wish to have this reply ban removed you will need to actually visit this restobar, get pictures of you there ordering food and then eating it and then send me a PM with the post you would like to make on this thread.

Just a guess here, but I think you should look over this forum rule:
    as I highly suspect there is a conflict of interest going here.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    Mark
    There are some miserable people out there.
    You don't need that type around.
    They will only bring everyone down.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    Hey Mikala, Thanks for popping in. One of those days here in paradise, one cook has left, family problems ( looking for a replacement ) and one was late. Oh the joys of work lol.... :banghead:

We cant do much for the traffic but i think people can see we've made an effort. We are turning into a fun neighborhood bar, if people want good honest food and meet easy going people they know where to come. :thumbsup:

Im now arranging poker and billiard comps, have live music nights and we are even putting together trips for customers. Today is a Pot Luck beach bbq and next one will hopefully be Dolphin watching in Bias. People can rent a boat together and share the cost of having a nice day out. Only P200 each, we meet up and drive in convoy and bring a packed lunch. Just come on in leave your name for one of the events. :woot:

I have to give a big mention Taco Tayo, its a breath of fresh air working with another bar and helping each other. The Sunday day trips are arranged together with them so customers/friends of each bar get together for fun days out :cool:

Glad you thought the food and service was ok and hope everyone can appreciate what we are trying to do at Happy Jacks. Thanks for your feedback :smile:

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Bruce

Bruce DI Member Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +172 / 10
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Dis
    Disagree with the above.

Restos can vary, cooks can be absent, staff bitchy just not a good day.

I am not a miserable person in anyway, yet as posted our experience in this resto was not at all positive. We would not return.

Before the the crowd start a stampede this was our experience on a single given night. Perhaps if we tried again it would be different, how ever no chance of this.

Personally here and other Restos would be well advised to ban staff from using cell fines during working times.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I have to put in my two cents here. First, I agree that waitress staff can be challenging in the Philippines in terms of our standards. And, what happened the person doing the complaining here is valid. The owner of Happy Jacks puts all kinds of work into finding new customers. I am sure he doesn't want his staff chasing them away. And I am sure he had a few choice words to say to these girls.

However, some of you guys are throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Everyone deserves a second chance. He is also teaming up with Taco Tayo for some special events. I commend him on that. I would say if you have a bad time there approach the owner in person. I am sure he will offer you some kind of offer that will help compensate for your trouble. I know him to be fair just the same as the owner at Taco Tayo.

There not many places for foreigner in Dumaguete where the owners are decent. In terms of running out of beer, I often lay my empty bottle on the bar or table. They get the idea real quick. You don't need to know their names. You can call them Sweetie or Beautiful here and it is ok. A smile goes a long way here.

Sometimes I tip and sometimes not. I always get the same service. :1cheers::1cheers::1cheers:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    Hey, They are all trained and i talk and keep an eye on them as much as possible. All have previously worked at resorts or restaurants in the past before starting at Happy Jacks. The majority of customers are very happy with the staff, a positive attitude gets positive feedback...... :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I don't want to start a war of words here but I just don't Understand how your Posts can continue on the negative if have not been there and experienced things Firsthand, There have been many Positive reviews from people that have been and enjoyed, I take it you haven't?

Do we not say, 'Don't knock things if you have not Tried them?'

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    A little unfair I thought, based on the owners comments that he is dealing with the bad write up he had from a poster.

As with most things here, Your own mileage may vary " How can you knock it, if you ain't tried it"? :wink:

Many do, of course everywhere gets a hiccup or two, we are none of us perfect.
    Take a visit and then make a Comment, Over critical critics sometimes can not see beyond the own Ego :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  9. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Just remember to keep telling yourself that it's more fun in the Philippines.

I have said this before in other threads, but I'm immune to bad service in the places I really like to go to. What's the better route? Stop eating or meeting with friends in one of the few places which I really like to go to? Or stop going there because I allow myself to get pissed off by a common issue? Sure, good service is part of a good experience. Sure, you may not be as wedded to a place as others are. Maybe there isn't enough there to hold your interest. But for me, I have been faced with this many times across Dumaguete and I have given in to making the most of what Dumaguete provides.

Another angle for me is that if all the place can offer is good service, then I'm not interested. I have been to resto's here where the owners have been anywhere from complete assholes to bat sh*t crazy and I enjoyed those places the most. Oh my, the stories I could tell. And none of those stories started with a smile and being called "sir."

Yet another angle is that many of these resto's are like family. Some of the waitresses in this town are friends I help out in many different ways (with no expectation of return or happy endings) because they are among the people I talk to the most. I don't get bad service in Happy Jack's and maybe one reason is because I know the waitresses.

A good approach here is to exchange names. Chat them up a bit to get to know them. When you asked them to come to your table, did you call them by name? Maybe find out what they were talking about. When you find there is a birthday, maybe even sing to them. The waitresses can either p*ss you off, or they can be a fun part of the experience of the resto-bar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    Hey, Thanks for the post. Expect the girls to get a good ear bashing.... It was one of the girls birthdays and i wasnt there, this is totally unacceptable... Ive had lots of good feedback from customers telling me i have great staff. So sorry you had to deal with this behavior.... I guess while the cats away !

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1