Dumaguete Info Search

How to Harley shipping

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by LostSailor, Jun 1, 2017.

1. LostSailor

LostSailor DI New Member Veteran Navy

Truck driver
    Ratings:
    +7 / 3
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I am new here and hoping I am asking this question in the correct area.
    I have a Harley that I purchased when I made Chief in 1997. It is the only thing I would want to get shipped to Dumaguete when my wife and I move. Has anyone here had any experience with motorcycle shipping?

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I'll tell you a story about my best friend (may he RIP)) Tom. He listened to a lot of people who told him the cost of bringing his big bike (Yamaha not Harley) from the US to here was was too high to even consider, especially when you consider the duty.

So Tom listened to all the coffee shop talk about bringing his motorcyle here in pieces in a Balikbayan box, then re-assembling it here and getting a local "fixer" to get him some registration.

Well he followed all the advice until the part with the "fixer". It seems there was no amount of fixing that would make that motorcycle totally legal here. So he could ride it around all he liked so long as he never went through a check stop. That pretty much stopped him from any touring around he wanted to do so the whole idea was useless.

The motorcycle is still around Cebu somewhere. After Tom went back to the US, (it was too expensive to dismantle and return the bike the same way), he sold it for a song to a local guy and it "magically" got registered just fine.

He told me many times that he would not have bothered to bring his big bike here had he known in advance the problems he was going to face. But your mileage will vary. This is Philippines.

3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I asked about bringing in a Car and in the end felt it was just too much hassle! This may help you but with so many things changing all the time I do not know if the advice will still apply, beware shipping things in pieces as I heard they were cracking down on this practice and if the numbers do not match legal import paperwork they will confiscate it from you without compensation...

Import Harley-Davidson to Philippines from America

4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This is for Cars, I assume Bikes would fall under the same rulings... I could not import my Car because it was RHD and older than 5 years old, asking around, these rules also apparently make it impossible to import a 1930's/40's/50's Hotrod or Custom from America like I thought I would be able to do... :sorry:

Ship Car/Motorcycle To Philippines From USA Import/Export

5. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sell it, and buy one here ( they can be got here), don't get me started on whats before you to bring it , you will have bought it 3-4 times over, by the time you get it here, then there is the worry, the drama, endless paperwork and still no guarantee you can drive it here

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Sell it at home and buy a brand new one here from an Authorized HD dealer if you can afford to. The import rules change monthly and regardless of what many say chances are you will get raped at customs or even worse it will vanish from the port.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    I talked to Drei Bikes in Cebu before moving and he convinced me that I could buy another Vulcan 1500 Classic here and it would be much easier and cheaper than bringing mine here. www.dreibikes.com

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Rules in the Philippines are only suggestions.

Drei occasionally goes to the US to buy bikes at auction. The good thing about buying from him is that he has all the paperwork to show that duty and import fees were paid. He also has a few decent mechanics and knows where to get parts. (If you have the money he will also send his mechanics to Dumaguete to service motorcycles.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    This is a 20 year old story but a friend shipped his Harley from Australia and customs demanded P1 Million. He turned it around and shipped it back.

10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Sounds like the go-to guy for this. Maybe he could buy the ops bike at a "private auction" for cheap and then bring it over and sell it back to the op for a reasonable markup? Same result, different method? But this being Philippines there is probably a reason why this simple solution will not work.

• Genius Genius x 4