Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu Have to move to Cebu or Manila to eat healthy?

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by onlymichael, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Brian: are you sure there aren't other things in those foods containing MSGs you are eating. From what I read it appears that most of those foods would have lots of preservative chemicals in them as well. Processed food generally isn't great for you but I doubt there is a single element in them that causes a bad reaction in some people. It's more likely a combination of chemicals in the food. I try to avoid food with ingredients that I can't pronounce and in the Philippines I absolutely avoid foods that don't post ingredients on the package all together. To me that is just scary.

I believe cigarettes are much the same. If it were just pure tobacco I doubt it would be nearly as dangerous.

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    you are right, thank you

3. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    What is "the tabo"? What is "Noph"? Which foods have greater antioxidant content per unit weight then blueberries, you say there are many, but you do not mention a one,-I'd like to know. I find most medical professionals in USA ignorant and incompetent, I don't doubt the same is true here in Dumaguete; judging from the many complaints from foreigners here about the hospital here, I probably will be seeking treatment, if I need it, in Cebu. These remarks should not be interpreted as any bias against Filipinos, just how I see it.

4. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

Yeah you're right it is "3 in 1". My remark in op is taken out of context. It was in relation to healthy vs unhealthy foods. 3 in 1, no matter how much you like it, is crap to eat, not just if you're sick either.
    If you're young and healthy, your body will do what is necessary to metabolize as best it can, the overdose of sugar and fat, but it's not doing you any good, but spiking your blood sugar and putting you on a roller coaster of highs and lows hungerwise. Sugar, salt and fat ALL taste good because the are present in very small amounts naturally in natural unprocessed foods. Fat tastes good because genetically we are programmed to store for lean times. There is WAY too much of these in most ALL processed food and it is one reason why we have so many diabetics, people with high BP, heart disease, etc-their diet consists mostly of junk (processed) food. Thanks for the info on Eithiopian coffee, yes every culture has it's idiosyncracies as far as diet is concerned. But popularity of a food does not equate with how good it is for you. And for you breast milk lovers (other posters), human milk IS good since it contains a full spectrum of amino acids, but it is high in milk sugars, so do not overdo ;-)

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I hate fat, it makes me puke

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... same here

[​IMG]

7. Newfie

Newfie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Onlymichael - it's very arrogant of you to discredit medical professionals who study and work very hard to keep people like you alive. A 5 second google search can provide you a list of Filipino foods that are rich in antioxidants. If you don't know what Noph is, you are obviously fresh off the boat and are still in the mentality that everything here is not like the usa and I want to complain about it.

Some people move beyond that attitude and others wallow in it until they croak.

Do you know what the body does to excess antioxidants? Pick up a biochemistry textbook and educate yourself.

8. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Actually the worst thing chocolate does to a dog is makes it depressed

9. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Chinese takeout food in Au use to have MSG, it is no longer used and it does not have any ill effect on me now. If I can when eating out I ask if the food has MSG, then ask do not add it please.

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Don't add it at restos? They likely just say ok then going to the back and laugh. I don't think MSG is an ingredient they add when cooking, it is most likely in the food that they order from their suppliers.