Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness Health checks

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Notmyrealname, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You might want to take a closer look at the statistics. How often does colon cancer itself actually do the killing? Do their statistics include deaths from the spread of cancer through the body?

But yeah, it's your body. If someone doesn't care to get the proper and recommended medical tests, insurance or save for medical expenses I certainly won't bother to pretend to care for them. You know what shoulder to not come cry on. :wink:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    PSA is just a blood test for a Prostate Specific Antigen. All that is needed is some of your blood to be drawn. So it's not 100% accurate but it is the least expensive, least invasive test.

Say PSA is high, wouldn't a doctor ordered additional tests, like a biopsy to confirm cancer before ordering chemotherapy or radiating to treat it? Can a biopsy cause complications? Sure, but it's not the whole 6%.

Say a biopsy comes back positive for cancer. What are your treatment options? I cant imagine chemo or radiation treatment for any type of cancer wouldn't cause serious complications. In fact I have seen it first hand. It sucks. Some cancers, like breast cancer lead to surgery to remove it.

Probably CAT or MRI scans to look for spreading to other organs. But guess what, if you have cancer, that's what the treatments are. That and praying, but your already doing that if you are not getting PSA tests annually.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I do blood panels at least once a year. Have done Chong Hua, the new one with the Cancer Center and also Hi-Precision, both in Cebu. They all can do everything I've needed, although one test had to get sent to Manila with two day return, but hey, i had an oddball test in northern california that had to get sent to LA. This year I did Silliman, and they accomplished everything I needed, although didn't try the PSA yet for 2018. I had a friend do an MRI at the new Maayo Wellness in Mandaue. He has since found a very competent orthopedist here to read it correctly (Dr Danilo Olegario).

If you've ever been to a hospital in California, you know 80% of the technicians and assistants are Filipino. Our doctors here have all been good, although had one that said, "oh, no prob, just gettin old"(wrong), but you get that in the states too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    I had a feeling (judging from your posts over the years) that emphathy was one of your strong character traits. :smile:
    Also, decrease risk of course; don't smoke, don't drink much, reduce sugar intake (some studies say cancer feeds/grows on sugar), exercise, consume mostly water for fluids NOT soda. Eat mostly fresh meats, not pre-packed proccessed meats too often ( like hot dogs, bacon). Read up on the controversy about food additive aspartame. Green tea a few times a week. All this to help your body fight rogue cells when they form.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have empathy for people who have it hard through no fault of their own, not foreigners who moved halfway across the world with no concern for or plan to deal with their inevitable decline in health, death and family needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Already in my notebook '10 Things NOT to DO Before You Die' - number 3 'Not cry on Mr R's shoulder'. :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Just checked. Silliman can do a PSA blood test, unless the reagent (i think that's the expression) blood tube is "out of stock", which it is currently. lordy lordy, i is tired of that expression <grin>...

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Yellowbelly

Yellowbelly DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 15
    Perpetual Succour hospital in Cebu does a range of health check packages - detailed in the “Executive” packages on their web site

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    As of last week, they have the right tube, so it's done, get the results tomorrow...