Dumaguete Info Search

Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by RichD, Dec 22, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Almost 50% cost for coverage for an 80 yr old. Seems like it would be better to self insure.

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 8.26.35 AM.png

3. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Travel insurance seems like it is just that: insurance meant for a short period of time for traveling. I am looking for long term insurance.

4. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Self-insure. Keep $10K in your savings account. Purchase Medicare because the most costly procedures can wait until you can travel to US soil, just pay the emergency portion in country and then fly back when ok to travel for 15 hours on a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    I would have thought that, for example, the "costly" procedure of heart surgery cannot wait - and sometimes would prohibit a person from flying until better. I know of someone who spent Php2 million here on heart surgery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    In fact, if you are talking about a heart bypass, that would be an example of a procedure for which you could get in a plane and have it done in the US mainland or even Hawaii and now Guam. The heart attack itself would be the emergency that needed to be taken care of here, about P350000 I am told. Php 2 million is $40K? I know of NO Philippine insurance plane that will cover that. It is important to have Medicare part B. Most EMERGENCY procedures do not cost P 2 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. adegans

adegans DI Junior Member

Webdeveloper
    Ratings:
    +23 / 4
    From my understanding Philhealth is one of the better ones accepted nationwide. There are other, smaller, providers but they're not always accepted (or even known to exist) at your hospital.

Ongoing travel insurance may be worth it, something from your own country. But that's not always cost effective. And again, if the hospital doesn't know about it or simply won't honor it you're screwed, too.

Lastly, also consider if you really NEED a high coverage policy. I'm 33 and have NO insurance at the moment. The rationale is that I'm a fairly careful guy and the few times (yes there have been a few times) I do need help it's cheaper to just pay that cash, compared to paying a monthly premium. But that's just me and obviously I wouldn't advise that to anyone, but it's something to think about for sure.

So far I've been lucky (you may say) and I do save for the big unexpected bill. But if that bill never comes it's extra retirement money :smile:

8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888
    But the logic is that you never know if the bill will ever come until the point at which you will never need health insurance (or any insurance) ever again. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1