Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Hello From Montana

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sounds like you have a handle on the Family Culture here, so very good to see someone with values and who wants to do things the right way, will certainly go a long way with her family, welcome aboard and I am sure you will enjoy this lovely part of the country... :wink:

One of the reasons I rather eat low key than to sit in McDonalds, very embarrassing IMHO to hear the loud mouths talking s**t with no regards to anyone else sitting nearby and very hard to ignore disapproving stares when eyes dart from them to me, embarrassing to say the least... :shamefullyembarrased:

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not cheap IMO. I think the fees are quite ridiculous for what it is, especially if you aren't in a large group. I'd rather just grab a pair of binoculars to check out the sand bar. I think the sand bar is worth maybe P1k for two (for the boat ride out there and to rent one of the cottages for a couple hours).

I've never been to the zoo so can't comment on that.

Twin Lakes is alright if the fee is still P100 for foreigners. If it is anything more than that it is not worth it IMO....it's just two lakes. I grew up around lakes and find the Twin Lakes rather unimpressive. There is absolutely no camp site/park type infrastructure around the lakes and activities are basically non-existent. For the same entrance fee in the US most lakes/camp grounds give you much MUCH more. If you have never seen a lake in your life then go for it. The drive up there is far more exciting than the actual lakes IMO...So just riding up there might be something you would enjoy.

Stopping along the national highway where you would turn left to go to the Twin Lakes (on the ocean) would be a nice place to sit down with your partner and have a lunch you packed. I've done that several times and the view is pretty nice.

Personally I would rather stay in Dumaguete as it is a central location and the are far more activities available south of Dumaguete than north.

Many (not all) of the expats that are attracted to the Philippines are severely mentally/emotionally damaged. I'm not sure what attracts them (maybe they believe they will be treated as a king, a major improvement from the trailer park the grew up in and never got out of. Or that the only way they feel they can move up in social/economic status is to move to a country where most everyone has less than them). Most of these types you can spot after a very short conversation. Ignorant scum can't help but be ignorant scum. When the conversation goes straight to whores/womanizing/talking sh*t/complaining about the locals culture you know you are dealing with a mental midget. (I'm not saying these conversations won't come up with most people over time....but if it is the very first thing that comes out of someone's mouth when you meet then you should probably proceed with caution.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I'm from Missoula.

You would be hard pressed to find something NOT budget friendly to do in Amlan. Actually, you might be hard pressed to find anything at all to do in Amlan. It's an easy trip to Dumaguete. Might as well head over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I feel for you mate, having been an similar circumstances myself, after two failed marriages where my Aussie wives were much the same, I gave up with total distrust, I swore I would never again get involved, but after 5 years speaking to my now wife everyday online, I learnt to trust again, and eventually came here to meet her, we have been married now going on 4 years and we are happy together. It takes a LOT to forgive, more so to forget, but moving on is the best thing you can do and facing the future instead of dwelling on the past is all you can do, I know I went through hell, but I did it for my kids, and I would do it again if I had to, but thankfully my kids are all adults now and have their own lives, but one piece of advice I give everyone, "Do NOT rush ANYTHING! If it is worth it and it takes time, then take the time to make sure it is right"...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    There are economical things to do in the area, the Dreamland zoo is big thing in Amalan and a local "guide" would help a lot.

The Dumageute info Forum should help you anticipate what you can do here. Enjoy your trip and the Dumaguete info Forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum.
    Will you be meeting up with a local for your trip? If so, he/she will probably have plenty of ideas for things you can do on the cheap. Just make sure they understand you need/want to do things at the local rates. Be prepared to eat/sleep/live like a local if you go that route though.

• Agree Agree x 2