Dumaguete Info Search

help uninstalling internet explorer, please

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by kelpguy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    i use firefox as my browser but i need to install internet explorer 11 so i can access a particular website to clear up some log on problems.

i'm running W7 and i downloaded IE 11 and tried to install it but get the following error message:
    ''Internet did not finish installing''
    ''Setup can't continue because a more recent version of internet explorer is installed on your computer.''

ok, how to uninstall the ''more recent version''? i've looked in program files, default programs, featured programs and i searched the system for internet explorer but nothing...

actually, i've spent quite a bit of time in the past searching for IE because IE shows up in temporary internet files when i run CCleaner.

any help will be much appreciated...

norm : ))~

Attached Files:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Open the start menu and search "Internet Explorer". Perhaps you already have the most updated version there?

On a side note: You should also email the website and tell them they are aholes for developing anything on active x and exposing their customers to such security threats. I'm betting it's a government website?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    thanks wrye...
    i swear i did the same search earlier but had different options come up but i found it in the search as you suggested and now it shows up in ''default programs'' so, i was able to make IE my default browser but...... now i can't find an icon to load the browser. what am i missing here???

it's a bank site that i'm dealing with and the fone rep gives me the impression he knows about IE and it's problems but that's what they designed their site to work with. he told me once i get my online acct set using IE, i can use another browser to access it. chrome won't even load the page.

the bank also uses tokens (a one time password device) and asks for different letters in your password. toughest, most difficult to use secure website i've run into yet. makes ya wonder.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    On our company computer (Win7) I just opened the start menu and typed "internet" (I don't think I even typed the full word) and the icon popped up. Once I clicked the IE icon there IE opened up.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429062826,1429062699][/DOUBLEPOST]There were two options: one that just said "Internet Explorer" and one that said "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". I just clicked the regular one. :confused:

5. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    i dunno, wrye...
    i attached the menus i get when following your directions. i DID make IE my default browser (shudder) but i still can't find an icon in the start menu, desktop, settings >control panel >programs and features, etc. and... nothing comes up when i search internet explorer 11.

i see chrome and firefox with icons in programs and features but no IE.

i have IE 11 turned on in the ''turn windows features on and off'' window.

any more ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Go to the command prompt and type the following:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    (with parenthesis)

7. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    got it!!!!
    i wasn't sure what command prompt was (i know now) so i entered your command in the start search window and it brought up an IE website telling me it couldn't load the page, then i don't know what i did but ''somewhere'' i found a IE logo and dragged it to my desktop and now i can load IE.

thanks a bunch, wrye!!!

getting back under my rock...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No problem. Windows is silly like that sometimes (even more true when IE is involved). When you posted the screen shots I thought it was Windows 98 at first. Pretty old school theme/style you have there. :wink: