Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education HELP with Elementary School

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by moirasmom04, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Hi Moirasmom,

Our children's education is a great concern to all of us and has been a subject of debate on this forum for some time. I am sure you have already found that there is very little agreement on this subject.

To answer some of your questions. Holy Cross where my granddaughter goes uses a Montessori based program. I don't know if it is an officially approved program or not. We do send her to a tutor after school mainly to help with her Chinese since neither my wife nor I speaks Chinese. I also spend some time with her each day going over her homework. She is learning addition and subtraction English and Chinese and basic science. I don't know what else you can ask of a kindergarten. I am satisfied.

Both my daughters started school in Cebu Eastern. In that school from the first grade on virtually every student spent time with a tutor before class, during lunch break and after school. After several years of them begging for mercy I let them transfer to Talisay Malayan Academy where they had a less rigorous program and some opportunity to play. The oldest girl went to South Western and the younger girl went to San Carlos. My oldest girl went back to school in the States (Eastern Tennessee State) and found the class work there easier and the whole program less demanding than school in the Philippines. She has been able to maintain a 4.0 there something she was never able to do here. I realize that ETSU is not Ivy League but it is my only comparison. A side note that I don't think has been mentioned is that the transcripts are in English so you don't have to go through the whole translation process if you do return to the States.

I think part of the difference of opinion on schools here arises from the fact that we are such a diverse group and we are comparing this system with that in a half dozen different countries. We also have some members who have made it on there own without benefit of education and subsequently value education less.

Any of us who has dealt with the college educated staff at Lee Plaza do have to shake our heads.

I have gone on too long but I hope some of it may be helpful.

Kenny

2. OP
    OP
    moirasmom04

moirasmom04 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for all your comments! It's very much appreciated!

It gets even more complicated...:smile:! I wish it was as easy as 1-2-3. Would you know the names of the Montesorri schools there? It would just be nice to see it and compare them to other schools.

Thanks again guys! Happy Tuesday!

3. spritecoke60

spritecoke60 Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, Can you tell me about the ROYAL OAKS INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN PIAPI?I'm planning to put my son there grade 2...

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Only One!

:D None sectarian, Non religious! WCES is good, Hard work is applauded, They have PRODUCED MANY national winners of Elementary 1st's, Mine is happy and I guess Rhoody will agree???? some times aggravating BUT GOOD!

Jack P. :wink:

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,552 / 1,017
    I understand for the public school system elementary through high school is only 10 yrs total. The U.S. has 12 yrs. Are private schools here only 10 yrs as well?
    I went to my wife's relative's graduation event yesterday. The little one that gave the valedictorian speech for her pre-school to first grade class flawlessly read a two-page speech in English pronouncing many "big" words perfectly, very impressed.

6. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Go for Negros Oriental Montessori International School or known as SIMON at Talay, Dumaguete City. Located in a cold environment, fresh air , airconditioned rooms and safe from future tsunamis, far away from the beach area lol... more affordable rate than those others and small ratio to student sand teachers which is a good environment for learning. Most half filipinos study there.

7. Judy

Judy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Montessori, our kids are happy and we are please with their progress.

8. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Pat0 I have heard from a person that teaches at Siliman Elementary that the Philipines is changing to a 12 year program as in other countries. He Said that Siliman is already transitioning to that and the other schools will be as well. I did not ask for any additional details about how the transition would work.

9. spritecoke60

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can u advice me which Elementary Private School is good?My son will be in grade 2.Do you know any School which is located inside the Villages or Subdivisions? It gives more security while renting an apartment or house @ walking distance to the School.We are not from Dumaguete.

10. spritecoke60

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where is Talay?

Hi, Is Talay near Sibulan? Can you tell me about SIMON?What particular location is this School located?Is this School inside the Village or Subdivision? I want my son lives near the School preferably walking distance.I'm going to rent a house or apartment.