Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Best Posts in Thread: Helpers and the Phone.

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    my helpers can't afford a phone:eek:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Our part-time helper does not use her cell phone during working hours, and it is her choice as she is a responsible person. She is our sister-in-law. Maybe we are the exception to the rule but getting her to slow down and take a break is the biggest problem. She comes for 2 to 3 days 2 times a month and spends the night. She is up at 4:00 a.m. and working by 5:00 a.m.. She'll take a nap in the heat of the day maybe from 2-4 if she has been doing work out-side, but then will work until 6:00p.m. She'll only stop for about 30 minutes for breakfast and lunch. We do feed her and her little daughter that comes with her quite well, the niece is about 9 I believe and very well behaved. The niece also does a couple of hours of cleaning outside, then watches a lot of TV ( quietly) which is O.K. as they do not have TV at home. The niece just showed me another report card, 92-94% in every subject which I think is pretty good. To make a long story short I don't think all relatives are lazy workers. Perhaps we are just lucky.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And I would advise never to employ Family, over the years the laziest people I have ever seen in the work place have been related to the Boss/Owner... Feeling privileged they become the most unproductive in a very short period of time. In saying that; I have employed relatives here to try and help them, "guess what"? :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Getting people to do what you want can be a challenge.
    I had a couple of guys working on my house and they were sanding some joints on the walls. I gave them a sanding block and showed them how to use it. Ten minutes later no sanding block. I told them "this is the second time I will tell you to use the sanding block, there will not be a next time" problem solved.
    When they were done they looked at the wall and said "Ahh sir now we understand".
    They get one instruction, one warning and that's all.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    I have always had a no cell phone on the job policy. we had one lock box for the phones and the employees would put them in the box when coming to work and get them back at the end of the day. If there was an emergency the caller called the business number and talked to the boss and had to give the nature of the emergency and the message was passed along. I hate to be a hard a** but if you have more than one working, pick the worst one and let them go for using the phone on the job. This works for a while. If you only have domestic help, it is unfortunate but it is really hard to stop. Assigned work with an expectation of completion by the end of the day, which ends when the work is done, has worked for me for a while in the past. Whatever y0u do is a temporary fix. I have tried everything, I think, known to man and the only thing that really works is: Clear simple warnings. (the average person can only comprehend the first three things you tell them so keep it simple). 2 or 3 warnings each with progressively more pain. Tell them with the first warning how many there will be and what each one brings about. Unfortunately, dismissal if the 3rd warning is ignored. Most people don't care what the issues are for you, they only care when the problem begins to affect them personally. You have to make it affect them personally if you want a response. It all depends on how important this issue is for you. Sorry for appearing to be a "know it all" but I have been there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Time to start work hand cell phone in and when finished they get it back. Easy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yes and yes. It's very hard to find a good helper....related or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It can go the opposite way with hiring friends/family. It is much easier to shame them into doing the right thing. Send a copy of any written warnings they earn to their mama and papa. If they are sending money home to their parents the family might put pressure on them to do a better job so they don't get fired. Of course this could backfire if the family is bat-sh*t crazy and completely incapable of thinking their kids could do anything wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I use a small piece of wood as a sanding block but I really miss the rubber ones from back home. Where did you get yours?

OOPS, sorry that is off topic. Please send reply via pm or add in something about helpers and the phone when replying :angelic:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2