Dumaguete Info Search

"Helpers"

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    For most jobs in the Philippines, yeah, 4500 (150/day) that wouldn't be enough to survive. But when you are providing food, shelter, health insurance and SSS that's more than reasonable.

Right now I have someone coming and cleaning 4 times per month. I'm not in country and nobody is in the house so the job is basically just dusting...and I have no idea how long she actually spends cleaning. I pay P300/day. I didn't set the price, I asked what she thought would be fair and that's what she came back with. Is it fair? I dunno, but everyone involved seems happy with it.

I'm not sure if the law even applies to this type of agreement/work. Am I currently a criminal?

2. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    $75-100 a month for what 60 hours of work? Think about it. I can barely get a plumber to stop by for an hour for that. I did a survey a while back asking what the monthly expenses were:

78% were over a $1000. 53% were over 1500. Having a full time worker that cost less that 10% of the budget seems like a pretty good deal.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 8.29.37 AM.png

I'm going to put together a survey to find the average monthly pay for a domestic helper, I just need to figure out a way to correlate it with longevity. The other piece of it is respect between the employee and the employer, not sure how to measure that. Maybe most of the domestic helpers are worthless as seems to be implied by most of the responders. I have no personal experience. It would be interesting to hear from individuals who are happy with their helpers, if they exist, and their opinions.

3. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Ok

I dunno either.......you say seems, so have you specifically asked her if she is happy?

I don't know, are you? The position does't sound like full time position to me. If I call a plumber every two weeks does he have to be an employee?

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    These helpers aren't living in the US. A plumber in the West has to drop ~$1000/month or more on rent. What people make in the US is completely irrelevant to the salaries of Filipino helpers.

We are not Filipinos. Most expect/obtain a much higher standard of living than Filipinos do.

I'm pretty sure no members here are helpers. What is expected in an expat's house and what is expected in a Filipino house could be very different.

The girl cleaning my house now was my first helper in the Philippines. She worked for me for 3+ years. She was/is great. She left because she got in a relationship and wanted to be with her partner. Fair enough and I don't fault her for that one bit. After her I had around a 50/50 success rate with helpers. However, I didn't really have much to do with the helpers after the first one because after her I had a girlfriend that dealt with that stuff. The gf was the one who decided when they were doing a good job and when they were hired/fired. The gf would complain to me about the cleaning and I would just ask her "so what are you going to do about that?" (Was trying to improve the gf's managerial skills.) I paid such little attention to the helpers that one that had worked for me and quit about a year earlier (or got fired, I really have no idea) I later unknowingly hooked up with at Why Not. She had to show me pictures of her in the my house from a year earlier to get me to believe her...even then I was skeptical because she looked nothing like any helper I could remember.

No, I haven't. She threw the price out there, I didn't negotiate down at all. What level of communication is needed? She says she cleaned the house x number of days this month, I say "Ok" and pay her. I'd be pretty dang happy if I could get away without having to justify what I did for the day to my boss. lol

I don't know, I was asking you.

5. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    That wasn't what I was saying. I was going to ask members who hired helpers the question about salary and longevity of their helpers. :wink:

Do you like your job? Does your boss come and ask you? They made you and offer and you accepted. Should I assume you are happy? If that's the case we could say most employees were happy. However,

Unhappy Employees Outnumber Happy Ones By Two To One Worldwide
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/susana...py-ones-by-two-to-one-worldwide/#ab471aa362a6

From how you have described the work, I would say no, but I'm no lawyer. It seems odd that the regulation wouldn't distinguish between a full time job and someone showing up a couple of times a month as you describe.

6. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Oh man, I am happy as hell with them! Reason: My Filipina wife is happy. When she’s happy, I’m happy. And by any account, they are NOT worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My comment was tongue in cheek. But the answer to your question would only apply to helpers working for expats as there appear to be significant difference between working for expats and Filipino.

Yes. Not once. I don't recall an employer ever asking me if I was "happy".

I don't understand how my employer made an offer to me has anything to do with what I posted. You can assume whatever you like, it doesn't actually affect if I am happy or not (nor does what my employer assumes). That seems to be part of the problem:
    How can you be "actively disengaged"? That sounds like a personal choice and something that takes effort. And that poll only had 3 options: 1. I am passionate about my job/love my job. 2. I'm unhappy with my job. 3. I hate my job!

I think the right questions/terms would be: 1. Actively Engaged 2. Engaged. 3. Indifferent. 4. Disengaged. 5. Actively Disengaged

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    OK. Did that on your survey page.

9. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Absolutely on target. They should be given minimum wage equivalent to the USA minimum of $8.50 per hour. They are live-in so that would be 24 hours per day at average 30 days per month or P306,000 per month. For all they provide, they are well worth it. We need a little bit of ‘take from the rich and give to the poor’ attitude around here. If she just comes on a daily basis, the wage would be about one third of that or P102,000 per month. If a foreigner is too lazy to do the work himself, then he should pony up and support the system. Geese, only P150 per day? How about P3400 per day. After all, that’s about the minimum we would pay in America so we should be fair.

10. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    In Dumaguete, the average monthly pay for a domestic helper with a Filipino employer is probably P2500 to P3000. For a foreigner it is probably P3500 up to Western style wages.