Dumaguete Info Search

"Helpers"

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Why? I'm not from USA. We are not in USA. And my monthly budget, here in the Philippines, for myself and live in gf is MUCH less than that.

But to be fair, Australia has a minimum wage of $18.29 per hour according to this site so why don't you go home and pay the people in USA $18.29 per hour like Australia does?

After all, that’s about the minimum they would pay in Australia so we should be fair. OR we could just acknowledge that the economies of different countries are all different and wages depend on the local norms. Does that sound fairer to you? It certainly does to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Off-topic but, federal minimum wage in the US is only $7.25. Hasn't been increased in over a decade.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Actually I agree. I was just razzing some people who have never hired permanent live-in helpers before and appointed themselves the expat social justice warriors defending the kasambayhan class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Well that’s good news! We can still get good service at McDonalds knowing management did not have to save labor costs by firing more workers! I love the USA.

5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yes you can. You just pay it for them. That's what I did when we had a domestic helper (besides the whole SSS thing which was much more a hassle actually). Not paying for philhealth is the stupidest thing a Filipino can do, it is simply a great value. Since I knew she wouldn't do it on her own I paid it for her on top of the agreed salary (which was 4k, two years ago). pay a year upfront and it doesn't cost you much of your time as well.

6. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Sure, you say to just pay it for them. We do that too but just to meet the law. Don’t think they are actually using it to “buy” Phil health. And NO, you cannot go to Phil health and get coverage in their name. THEY have to do it. They have to fill out the forms, sign, give ID pictures and so on. Yes, YOU can (and MUST) pay for it. So you give them the money for it; sure, go ahead and give them a year’s coverage all at once. You can be sure she will go directly to the Phil health office on Veterans HWY and use the money you gave her to begin 1years coverage. Wrong. It is more likely to be spent on other things like red horse, vitamin T5 or cockfights for the bana, whatever, you have NO say in the matter and as you say, it is stupid not to get covered but, as in my case, locals from Siquijor very often don’t even bother with real doctors. Too expensive, inconvenient and distrusted. They use quack doctors, you know, witchcraft, potions that sort of thing. They think it is the right way and it is not covered by Phil Heath however, quack doctors are not supposed to charge. I am married to a Filipina for 32 years and have been coming here since 1988, now permanent and even if you have similar credentials, I wonder a little bit about your street smarts here and want you to see the reality of what you are dealing with. Money up front does not always or usually get spent responsibly. But yeah, give them the money. You can always hope they do the right thing. SSS is similar and that involves not only SSS but opening an SSS savings account at a bank, neither of which you are empowered to do on her behalf. Before I am accused of sexism, I choose to use the pronoun “her” to describe both male and female maids. We had a male maid for a while but “she” could not give up her liking for the Tanduay that this new salary provided her and although she was beyond excellent while sober, she missed too many days at work and unfortunately had to be let go.

Maybe the law wants you to do all these things but in reality she has to be the one to do them.

7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I've never suggested what a helper should be paid. My point is that if you pay a little more and treat your helper with respect you will likely get a more committed helper. If the person can go down the street and get a similar job, why should that person value your job? I find it funny that people paying a wage you could barely live off expect the helper to give a sh*t about their crap job.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :coffee2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. furriner

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    In our case, pay is not the issue. Expats can generally afford it. So we pay. But no matter what you pay, this does not buy commitment. Unless it is a medical issue where professional home nursing care is needed, having a “helper” is just a convenience and perhaps not worth the legal exposures. That is the place many of us are in. I am not comfortable with it, not when the value-add is just a convenience.

10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    You may be one of the 1%'er expats, so not disputing your particular case. I just wondering if your aren't more the exception than the rule. The exception does not invalidate the rule. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but the vibe I get is not one of if they do a better job, expats would pay them more. I'm getting more the minimum wage is this, so I pay them that and they should be happy, but for some reason they don't seem to value this great opportunity I'm providing them. Just to provide some clarity, lets talk hypothetically since I don't claim to know the number. Lets say you were to pay 2x more than average ($6000-8000 pesos a month), you would think that most people making $3000-4000 pesos/month would want that job and the person doing that job wouldn't want to lose it? Money definitely affects behavior. Simple example, ask people to clean a sewer for 10 pesos, a few or no takers. Ask someone to do it for 1000 peso, the number goes up, and so on.

Convenience plays a huge role. It's just how you value a particular convenience. Why do people have cars, air conditioning, tv, internet. etc? Many people get by with food and shelter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018