Dumaguete Info Search

Hidden Treasures

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by KINGCOLE, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Agree, especially in this age of dwindling budgets and cutbacks. But, I don't want to see America pulled into another useless war where the war fighters have their hands tied behind their backs for political reasons like what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan IMHO.

Too many young people were sacrificed to achieve basically nothing other than to enrich huge corporations. If the military is to be used to achieve a political goal then allow them to do what needs to be done to accomplish the goal set forth and quit Monday morning quarterbacking everything they do.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I personally think BOTH can be accomplished - museum building and war-fighting.

The thoughts you have expressed are thoughts I have been hearing from many different slices of Americana since the First Gulf War back in the early 1990's. It's probably been going on since before then, but this is the time when I first began hearing loudly these comments:

Another "useless war". It's another generational "Vietnam repackaged in the Middle East".

The military Servicemembers are fighting with their "hands tied behind their backs", and the "powers that be are sacrificing them for nothing".

It's really "ALL about the oil" and/or it's really "ALL about increasing the profits for the profiteers - the military industrial complex/Corporations."

These kind of conclusions are exactly WHY we need a military historical museum open to the general American public of all ages.

Having visited the WWII museum, I became a much more informed and enlightened American to the following:

Events which lead up to our indirect and direct participation;

The principled reasonings (or lack thereof) behind the principled actions (or lack thereof) we took in a step-by-step manner - both before and during this war;

And, the societal impacts on our social order, and many of the societal impacts on other nations who indirectly and directly engaged in this war.

Now for many, a museum such as this, a very specifically themed museum about a very specific period of time, and about a very specific war, could be seen as just another "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" collection of stuff.

But it is way more than that.

This museum told me, in a very abbreviated way, many of the WHOs, the WHATs, the WHENs, the WHEREs, the WHYs, and the HOWs behind the actions taken.

This museum told me, in a very abbreviated way, many of the principles in play, and what was so valued as to cause such a deadly conflict.

In many respects, various templates and conclusions can be drawn from this period of time, and they can become a useful overlay for today and in the future.

This is what I was left to ponder about after my visit to this museum.

And I suspect many Americans need to know, understand, appreciate, and then ponder on these principles and values as well.

This is assuming of course, that we as individuals in a collective national body politic, have not abrogated our responsibilities to do so.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 2
  3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    It's an amizing collection, I wonder where Hitler's plunder wound up? Could that be a part of the OFF LIMITS?.... no offence to any of my German friends....

• Agree Agree x 1