Dumaguete Info Search

High Level of intollerance in Dumaguete and Lee Plaza

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by John Salinasy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Nothing that we have heard over and over and over..... and yet we are still here :smile:

2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Tried that, they tried to arrest me as a drunk crazy person and *disturbing the peace and sanity*. I don't even drink! I'm just that bad as a dancer and an even worse singer!

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Different people different skills lol.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    As a single expat over the age of 65 I can assure you that PhilHealth is available to me. I have had it for two years now.

It's certainly not much of a coverage, but it is not very expensive either. I bought it so that, if emergency treatment is needed, I will get it rather than die on the gurney unconscious while the docs try to find out if I have the money to pay them.

5. Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    Hi what would Philhealth cost and what would it cover? In Thailand no health insurance available at my age and even if it was the my previous history would certainly reduce any policy to worthless on the other hand accident insurance from my bank covers basic health care in an accident in local hospitals, ie Broken leg, slip in the shower and so on.

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You might want to look at pacific cross also,a little more expensive but are good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    A lot of issues on this thread. I have not lived here that long, but already have some observations. I came here, like many, for the warm weather, low cost of living and a people who almost always are friendly, nice and understand English (even if they don't speak it.) I was also hoping to be a help, or sorts, to the Philippines. I have been able to sponsor several young people in their quest to get a college education. Tuition is very low compared to the US, so through church and other charities I stepped up. I will continue that committment, but now wonder (based on many criteria, including personal observation) if a Filipino education is worth my investment. The young people certainly are worth any investment I can make. All people are "worth it" if the bottom line be told, but I am not Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. What I have I have earned from my own labor; I have never had employees.

But there have been several comments here about the far sub-standard (on a global basis) education that is offered in the Philippines. My first hint came many years ago when a good friend with a B.S. in Electronic Engineering from a prominent private university in Manila was unable to understand a basic D.C. circuit. I let it slide.

Then years later a person with a bachelor degree in nursing from Silliman was unable (twice) to pass a certification test to work in the US as a nurse after taking a rather expensive preparation course tailored just for that test.

Right now, I have a young man (28 years old) who returned to university to study business administration and is in his second year. I was stunned when he told me many of his classes at NORSU Dumaguete are rarely attended BY THE TEACHERS! Most days classes are cancelled. And in late November it was Founders' "Day" celebration for a week when nothing got done. They actually scheduled 5 full days of movies during what should have been classroom time in addition to dozens of other events which, I understand, were mandatory. He want to work overseas in his major area of study. It sounds like NORSU is totally letting him down as far as preparation is concerned. Tuition there for his second year was free, but I support all the nonsense projects that his teachers dream up as well as keep him clothed and fed since his family is unable to provide anything but a roof. (There are actually some "uniform requirements" at the college level in the Philippines.) So 1950s!

I have an expat friend who teaches part-time at one of the private universities in Dumaguete. He just shakes his head when I ask him about the experience. The students are not accustomed to be in a learning mode. Their elementary school and high school classroom experiences are (evidently as commented here) more about what would be extra-curricular and after-school activities in any other country, so when confronted with a Westerner teacher they can't cope with being asked to learn and study the course material.

Don't really know how I will proceed. I will see my current students through to graduation, but I don't feel there is any point in paying toward higher education here until a bachelor degree represents at least approximately the knowledge base for that degree throughout the world.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I can't vouch for any particulars or exclusions. You can visit the PhilHealth office near the PhilPost office at Robinson Place upstairs food court. I have paid P2400 for a year's coverage. I believe I get P100,000 lifetime maximum payout for in-hospital medical. You must be admitted, but in the Philippines it seems everything that happens ends up on one bill at the end, so you don't end up with separate lab fees, doctor bills, etc. One precaution, if you leave the hospital before you are convinced you are cured, and need to return for the same thing, you are not covered for subsequent stays.

That's funny: "A little more expensive." I understand that Pacific Cross is top notch, but hugely more expensive than PhilHealth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    For anyone here who, like me, has been spoiled by Amazon, Lazada is just one big joke. I've used it and continue to do so because there is little choice. But Lazada, I think, will not have a chance to "take off." Aside from the fact that their service model is so inferior, Amazon is interviewing for their new offices in Manila. If Amazon comes to the Philippines, there will be no "take off" possible for Lazada.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    You are such a generous person and an example of how this country benefits so much from many of the 'aliens' here. My concerns echo yours but I cannot see any changes in the pipeline - parents are afraid to challenge the education system and those higher up seem content with it as it is (for obvious reasons). The actual system (e.g. teachers IN the classroom, teaching thinking skills, raising levels expected in each grade constantly upwards, schools' inspectors) could be changed very quickly, but it will then take many years to produce the high quality teachers necessary to drive forward the new ethos based on a more rigorous set of standards. And, I don't think they need only to look to the West - am I correct that standards in some Asian countries (Singapore, South Korea and Japan) are also very high.

• Like Like x 1