Dumaguete Info Search

High Level of intollerance in Dumaguete and Lee Plaza

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by John Salinasy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What do you drink today, it must be very strong, compare the Philippines with Singapore, South Korea, and Japan, it's the same as comparing Rusi with Ducati or Liverpool and Man U in football, huge difference in quality haha

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. UncleFatBloke

UncleFatBloke DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think you will see that Notmyrealname did not put a PH education up there with Singapore. He was stating that PH need not look to the Western systems for a benchmark - because some Asian countries already have very high education standards.
    However, my experiences in Singapore and also Shanghai (to add China to the list) is that kids are piled high with homework, which the young daughter of my ex struggled to complete over the weekend and as a result had zero time for play!
    The systems used were also very much rote learning, and discussion and explanation not very present!
    Getting kids to understand why things are they way they are is paramount in building flexible thinking and common sense.
    Simply copying, and repetition of the book contents/what the teacher said is not what is needed IMHO.
    I think however that if PH does at some point start changing things, it will probably be following the techniques of the Asian countries rather than America or Europe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kelly Acosta

Kelly Acosta DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I don't think we can generalize the poor state of education in the Philippines. I know we have a long way to go. I think it boils down to the motivation of students. Education is very much valued here as a way out of poverty. The US pours millions of dollars in education and yet a lot of students can hardly spell nor can they do their basic math...so what gives? The number two source of employment in the Philippines is Business Process Outsourcing. Why do you think that is? Everywhere in the world, Filipinos are valued as workers...why so? I think education is key.

4. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are right Notmyrealname doesn't compare education level in the Philippines with Singapore, South Korea, and Japan. I agree with most of your statements, but the way I see it, the Philippines doesn't want to look too other countries education systems, we do it the way we always have done it, and the top of the pop, read the people in power, they are not interested in well-educated people, what will happen if the people in the Philippines can see and understand what's going on here? A negatively charged word, discipline is needed here, from all in the education system, teachers don't show up many times, what that tells the students about professionalism? Nothing will change before the people in power want the change to happen, and then they need to find their own way to raise the standard of education in respect for their own culture and not by adopting other countries education systems but of course, learn from the outside world

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    So, my friend, WHAT were YOU drinking today? :smile:

6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    They opened up BPOs here because it is one of the few low-pay countries which has English as a second language and where the staff are able to communicate and be understood (I think many of us struggled when BPOs were located in other countries, which I do not wish to name here). But are the staff well-educated? They are probably the cream and must have been trained in the specifics of the companies they represent but if you tell them you are in Arkansas, would they have any idea where it is?

I think Filipinos are 'valued' (not a term which applies everywhere) for their hard work and willingness to accept low pay within the country where they work. Many NEED to work and so grind on accepting 1 day off a month, 15-hour working days and low pay - and they do it all for their families, especially their children. I admire them for their sacrifice but wish they did not have to accept the abuse some countries give them. The only way out of it is to develop skilled jobs within the Philippines - and the key to that is education.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think working for pennies on the dollar is the primary reason. Being able to speak good English a close second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I wholeheartedly agree that many Asian countries hold the highest global standards in their educational systems.

9. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Filipinos have to work very hard to hone their English skills before they can even be considered for a call center job. They DO NOT get those skills in their public schools where, supposedly, most classes are taught in English. They often scrape together funds to take online tutoring to improve their English. My point is that the Filipino educational system isn't even preparing their students to adequately speak Engish, an official language of their own country, fluently.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NYC

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Someone has definitely been drinking today. Or missing their spectacles.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1