Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Higher online costs

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would buy more locally if I didn't have to waste the better part of a day driving around to 20 different shops, struggling to find a parking spot at each location...and maybe not even be allowed in depending on the day of the week due to the pass system, to maybe find what I was looking for. Usually what I'm looking for is "out of stock" or if available it is overpriced Chinese garbage. Until local business owners step up their game I have little interest in supporting them and their sub-par products when I can just go online and get exactly what I am looking for. I don't even see the items that have higher prices as actually being more expensive; my vehicle wear and tear, fuel, time and sanity is worth far more than any price difference I have found online.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Just need a change of thinking - see it as a day out, a chance to breathe in the pure air, take in the beauty of the environment, engage with sensible people, enjoy the 'thrill of the chase'.

Or then again, just buy online! :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Amazon in the past few years has been required to pay state tax (where applicable). Did they see a decline in sales? Hard to say but I think the company has continued to grow and see an increase in sales despite the additional tax burden on consumers.

From Wikipedia:
    This may prove to be the case with Lazada and other similar websites servicing the Philippines. Since the law says that it won't apply to small businesses I can easily see a legal argument for the small business listing products on Lazada being exempt from sales tax. I think the way the law reads right now you won't see an increase in prices on a large number of products on Lazada.

Of course the Philippines is a completely different economy and culture. Cheap and kuripot rules supreme here, regardless of product quality, customer service or convenience. It may be far more harmful to online sales that it was in the West.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Increased taxation of goods means people buy less! (Or buy quickly before taxation kicks in and then the 'buying' drops off). Increase taxes on earnings/remittances? So people have less to spend.

Not an easy decision how to get the money to pay for the covid crisis but keep the economy churning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wonderful, but I don't think this will be the end as the government looks to make up revenue shortfalls from a closed economy.

• Agree Agree x 1