Dumaguete Info Search

HIV/AIDS: New strain is exploding local cases

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Mom Miriam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In an interview with German media, the National Institute of Health at the University of the Philippines has revealed that a more aggressive and drug-resistant HIV subtype is threatening to spark a new AIDS epidemic in Philippines.

According to epidemiologist Dr. Edsel Salvana of the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at NIH/UP, HIV is scientifically regarded, not as a single virus, but as a collection of viruses that evolve into new mutation each time it affects a cell. So far, nearly 100 different subtypes of HIV are identified with new subtypes being discovered every day. Although subtype B accounts for only about 12 %t of all global HIV infections, most of Philippine research is on subtype B because most Western world HIV infections are of subtype B. Recently, however, when the Department of Health (DOH) reported increasing trends last year, they discovered that the local explosion of HIV infections is due to a shift from the Western subtype B to a more aggressive HIV subtype AE which is infecting younger, sicker patients who are more resistant to antiretroviral (ARV) drugs and manifesting faster progression to AIDS.

The DOH and the UNAIDS have reported that the total number of new HIV infections in the Philippines has increased by 140 percent from 2010 to 2016, making it the fastest growing HIV epidemic in Asia and the Pacific region. At current rate, the growth of HIV infections in Philippines is projected to reach 142,400 by 2022.

For Central Visayas, DOH Region 7 reported a trend of steadily increasing HIV infections that now totals 4,165 cases -- with 3,665 HIV cases and 219 full-blown AIDS cases in Cebu province; 153 HIV cases and 27 AIDS cases in Bohol; 84 HIV cases and 15 AIDS cases in Negros Oriental; and 6 HIV cases in Siquijor. By mode of transmission, sharing of infected needles remains the top causes of HIV infections in Central Visayas, accounting for 1,852 of the total cases, while transmission due to unprotected male-to-male sex comes next with 1,048 cases - according to Dr. Van Philip Baton of DOH coordinator for Re-Emerging Infectious Disease Program.

For Negros Oriental, DOH NIR reported that Dumaguete has the most number of HIV cases at 45 while other cities and towns have lower numbers: Amlan – 1, Ayungon – 3, Bacong – 2, Bais– 4, Bayawan – 1, Canlaon – 3, Dauin – 4, Guihulngan – 1, La Libertad – 1, Pamplona – 2, Siaton – 2, Sibulan – 7, Sta. Catalina – 3, Tanjay – 13, Valencia – 4, Vallehermoso – 1, and Zamboanguita – 2.

In case of infection, DOH has provided a list of HIV Treatment Hubs & Primary HIV Care Facilities in the Philippines.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is very difficult for HIV to spread through sex among straight people. Stay away from used needles and keep trouser snakes away from the poop chute and you have little to worry about.

Also, who is shooting up in the Philippines? I thought that was pretty much nonexistent. I wonder how many of those saying they got it by needle are really in the closet.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Philippines was reported by the United Nations Office on Drug & Crime as having the highest abuse rate for meth since 2012. According to a support group, there are a variety of ways by which drug abusers ingest meth ("ice" in USA or "shabu" in Asia) to obtain their high. The method of administration determines how fast the drug produces its effects on the brain and how long the sense of alertness, clarity, intense pleasure, powerful euphoria, and surge of energy lasts.

The route used to achieve the fastest high and most intense high is by intravenous injection (methamphetamine hydrochloride salt is water-soluble and alcohol-soluble) which produces immediate effects that lasts from 8 to 12 hours. Meth can also be ingested by smoking, inhaling, or drinking.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Right, but injection is not a common way to take the drug.

The drug is mainly used by the poor and needles are an extra expense.....but I guess not so much if you are reusing them :meh:. But really, how much is a new syringe? 5 pesos? Come on now. Go help park one car per day and you can completely avoid the risk of getting HIV. Or:
    Indoplas 3cc Disposable Syringe with Needle 3ml Box of 100 | Lazada PH
    Box of 100 for P350.

Still, smoking it from a pipe or on aluminium foil is the most common method of ingestion in the Philippines. I'm sure nobody starts with the needle though. Gotta be pretty heavily addicted to make the jump to a needle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Someone call the Catholic Church and tell them that the AIDS virus is evolving and people need condoms.

And thanks for the info. I have lined up a full arsenal of condoms for my scheduled unruly foreigner activities this coming week. Sorry guys, I cleaned out all 7-11's of their X-large inventory. Try Lazada.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Mom Miriam

Mom Miriam DI Member

Pandemic-Surviving Oma
    Ratings:
    +209 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I feared at first that the heroin crisis has come to RP. So I dug deeper into the situation to find out what the injecting is all about. If not for the DW article, I would not have learned that shabu can also be injected or that it can ingested by drinking as well.

Yes, those injecting it could be addicts hard or heavy in the sense that the dopamine neurotransmitters in their brain no longer work to produce the craved pleasure effect. They must be doing group "sessions" or, in the case of MSM, they do couple "sessions" - thus the needle sharing.

7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Tolerance is a b*tch. Pretty d*mn hard to OD on meth alone so they will likely just slowly rot away from not eating and the psychological issues that will develop with long term abuse. Though I suspect it is significantly easier to OD using the needle (not certain on that but I would think that skipping the stomach/lungs/nose and going straight to the blood stream would definitely increase the chances).

You can also stick it up your butt. That would be the next "logical" (if you could call it that) step up from smoking it. lol
    Quality and intensity of the high will be based on method of getting it in your body. From worst to best:
    1. Stomach
    2. Nose
    3. Lungs
    4. Butt
    5. Veins
    However, the higher and more intense the high, the sooner it will, generally, wear off. And as you mentioned, the body can only create so much dopamine. If a person isn't eating, as generally happens while on meth, then they aren't getting the proper dopamine precursors the body needs to create more of it (on top of the receptors being over worked). The brain also needs sleep to recover, which also doesn't tend to happen much while on meth. It is a slippery slope. If a person doesn't see the edge coming soon enough and put on the brakes they are going to be properly fooked. I imagine a lot of addicts are trying to smoke/inject their troubles and pain away and ,much like alcohol, only makes things worse.

Rye83
    This message by Rye83 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Abhorrent! Abhorrent! x 1