Dumaguete Info Search

Hospitals in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Ozzyguy, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    First off I don't need one. :smile:

But if I moved to Dumaguete what hospitals are available. What are they like for surgery? Anyone had any experience?

I ask this as it's a concern to me, I feel as a expat this is important. Also my sport is a bit risky and the odd hospital trip sort of happens a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    For anything surgical, I would go to Cebu. I wouldnt trust the doctors in Dumaguete. I would go to one here only for a consult, then to Cebu for a second opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Silliman has worked for my family. My wife had a C-Section giving birth and I survived a serious stroke and my son has had 8 years of checkups there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. hansie

hansie DI Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +97 / 71
    Been to Silliman for hip replacement surgery and to ACE (Doctors) Hospital for breathing problems. The latter is a relatively new hospital en has pretty good private rooms (Peso 2500/night). Siliman is more a rat race, but the operation went very well. My physician at both places is/was Dr Cuyacot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, good idea to plan ahead. all expats i know who have voiced an opinion to me choose silliman.

my choice is holy child because my dr (johnny yee) is head of family practice there. i did use their er for bell's palsy paying 12.50 US for an er visit which included medication and the dr (a silliman senior resident)

good to have the feedback on ACE. its right by my house and i was wondering about it. i think its a chain with hosptals in other locations as well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the feedback on ACE!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The Medical Center (Silliman University Medical Center) but locals refer to the hospital as MEDICAL CENTER whereas Silliman is used to refer to the school. So the Medical Center is good but oftentimes crowded. When you have good money to pay for a nice room, you will surely get some priority treatment there. However, some people go to Cebu for complicated cases as Cebu is more equipped there with the right facilities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    If you have trauma here, (e. g. road accidents etc), the majority are passable. Anything more serious, as others have said Cebu, e. g. Chung Hua, Cebu Doctors etc etc. Personally, I go to Manila, where I know 'one gets what one pays for'. However, there again, I pay an annual med insurance premium to a European company that is accepted in all the hospitals up north.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To add a little spice to the coversation the World Health Organization (WHO) ranks US healthcare as about number 32 in quality and it is twice as expensive and the next highest. Every European country, scandanavian, Canada, Australia and some pacific rim countries have better healthcare.

WHO ranks the Phils at about 62 I think if i remember correctly. The cost is a tiny fraction of US care. I have always felt since since expats have the resources to select the best care in the Phils that our experience is probably much better than the 62 accorded to the system.

I spent my whole life working in the healthcare system of the US. I am satisfied with my experience in Dumaguete. People always think bigger is better. Taint necessarily so

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Several of the best nurses in the US are Filipinos. Anywhere in the world Filipino nurses are in demand because caring for the sick I think comes naturally to Filipinos. There had been a number of Hollywood celebrities who specifically requested for Filipino nurses to attend to them. That is why there is joke going around here telling our local nurses to stop going abroad because your patients are already coming to the Philippines---lol--it's a joke ....no offense meant.---lol

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.