Dumaguete Info Search

House Build

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by ShawnM, Feb 15, 2014.

1. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
  2. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Friday pics

Mostly painting, both interior and exterior. Had to rewire most of the Nipa today, I'm still at a loss on what was done;can give recommendations for workers but not electricians or plumbers.

Trying to get a good finish on the doors but little black gnats seem to be attracted to the doors so after a coat of paint I have them stuck on...never noticed them much but they sure do seem to love the white doors.

Shawn

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Monday pics

We roasted 2 pigs on Saturday, shut things down at noon. It was a great time. No work on Sunday as me and the wife headed to the village to deal with a few things...was surprised that we still have some geese and turkeys. I quit thinking about them when we lost the pigs to a disease a few years ago.

A good day of work today...HOT beyond belief but productive. Need to head to Dumaguete tomorrow to pick up some materials.

Shawn

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Tuesday pics

Went to Dumaguete today to pick up the steel for the gate and security door as well as the pump, water tank and some fittings.

Since my plumber has disappeared I have one of my workers that has some plumbing experience helping out...he is really worried about the electric pump and water tank. Between the two of us we will get it working right. Should have water this week.

Only had time today to go to Uy Matiao and Polaris, Matiao did not have hinges that would work for the front gate. If anyone knows where to pick up some heavy duty hinges I would appreciate hearing where.

Shawn

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Wednesday pics

Sorry for just a few pics today; spent the day fixing some things as well as keeping the workers straight on how to frame a ceiling and what I wanted for the security door.

In hindsight I went a bit over for the security door, 1" square tube is really looking a bit like a jail cell. It will look better once painted and hung, it is a heavy mofo (will need 4 hinges). My plan was to be able to keep it open throughout the night without the family worrying...met that. It will work out OK but would have only gone with the 1" square tubing for the frame and smaller for the "grill/bars" if I had to do it again.

For the master bath shower room I want to use the same tile I used for the wall tiles for the ceiling, I know that may seem weird but I think the look will be straight as well as putting in 2 recessed LED fixtures will make it look pretty good. The workers were a bit off on how they thought it should be done compared to how it will be done, some rework and wasted materials but it is what it is.

Hopefully we get the EVG panels for the second floor later this week so we can get going on that.

Shawn

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thursday pics

Got a bit of rain this morning, not enough to fill up all my barrels from the rain water collection. I am still curious to see how long it will take to fill them since I expanded.

The wife went to Dumaguete today (I was able to get out of it) and she looked for gate hinges at a number of places with no luck. The guys fabricated some hinges for the security door and they are confident they can make some for the two gates.

The security door is heavy, but once they worked out the hinges I think a single door closure will work (have 2 just in case). It does swing pretty easily and the only thing other than paint is screens so we are not adding more weight to it.

The guys were really concerned about putting ceramic tile on the ceiling of the shower room, they thought it would come right off the hardy flex. I assured them it is done all the time and we are using tile adhesive, not cement so it would be fine. Takes a minute more to hold it in place and they now see that it will work.

The water line heading to the second floor for the tank was set too low to work with the pump outlet so we need to chisel out a bit...unfortunately it was ran up in a column, I thought I was clear that I wanted it to come out at the same level as the electrical conduit for the float switch but that was lost (that work was done before I got back in May). This was one bit of work I put off for awhile as I hate the idea of chipping into a column but it is time to get water to the house. I bent the conduit down for the float switch down to run to the J-Box, since this is a pump room I wanted most things surface mounted.

Shawn

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Friday pics

Good day today, the security door will be ready tomorrow for the first coat of final paint (white to match windows and doors). The front gate is starting to come together, it will be solid and will end up looking good.

Hooked up the water pump temporarily today, that 1" pipe sucks to try to bend in tight quarters. The amount of water we are getting from the Gould pump I went with is fantastic. I've got a bit of work to do yet before we have water to the fixtures (tank set, another check valve, etc.) but very pleased.

One of my biggest problems here is the lack of water pressure and more often than not no water at all. I didn't want city water for this reason and will never have a connection with them. My tank will sit in the second floor roof so I am confident we will have great pressure (will be clear once we set the tank) just being gravity from that point.

I think the shower room is going to look good; need to go to Dumaguete tomorrow to pick up a few things but will get the recessed LED lights in once we get back.

Cherry is looking into getting internet and cable to the house; I guess there are limited internet lines but since it would be a transfer from the apartment to the house it should not be too difficult, more info to come on that as it plays out.

Shawn

Attached Files:

8. DJ Jones

DJ Jones DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hey Shawn,

My spouse and I are looking at building a place in Valencia, do you have any good recommendations of building contractors and brokers in dealing with the property?

9. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Saturday pics

We picked up a few things from Dumaguete today, the grinder died after we got back today so we will need to buy a new one tomorrow...had it for more than 3 years but will be doing a lot of metal work so time to get a new one. Sucks that it died after we got back as we could have picked one up while we were there.

Shawn

Attached Files:

10. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    You can buy a good quality Makita (japan made) at the little hardware next to diday electrical in Tanjay , or you can borrow mine til you get to duma next :D