Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor House construction Labor vs Material Costs

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Show Pony, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    My Wife and I built 3 homes in the Philippines. Currently utilize 2 and gave the 3rd (1st build) to my Wife's parents. All 3 the Labor was approximately 1 third. First home built was 15 years ago (half concrete, half wood) 2nd was 7 years, third was last year (both concrete and steel). We have over tripled the value to date (even having gifted the 1st home). Agree also that location means better turn over. We are a perfect location for rapid appreciation. All the builds I used 12 to 16 workers plus a Fore-Man 6 days a week so factor in the daily snacks and H2O for an average of 4 Months than a tip for each at end build. We built a 1 bedroom Nippa hut also on our Farm 18 years ago, minor cost to up-keep and we rented it out for 14 years and the labor on that was 1/5th the materials with a 2 Man crew.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I think your math is close enough.
    My neighbor had his a freshen up on his house inside and out. His labor cost was 40,000 pesos on a 350 sq meter house.

3. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    When I built my house 10 years ago we ended up around 33% on labor. The arrangement was paying for daily labor. Our builder did not have a chance to profit or suffer a loss.
    A potential profit margin of 33% on the labor is not outrageous. When I had my own business I never took on a job where there was no chance to profit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    At 16 years of age (now 58) I always learned from successful persons as my Father taught me that. "yes" I have learned from the un-successful also (as in what not to do) Seems it panned out as I retired at 57 where-as I get no pension till 65. As I own a farm and also can rent out a home or 2 down the road, I am fully prepared to get "F;D" out of my Pension. I do not nor have ever relied on Government in my Country. Rules, regulations and laws are always changing. I would never want to be in a position where I would have to rely on another person (out-side the Wife)........not even my Family nor hers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i agree with that practice but often to cut costs (as in the house i occupy) they build roof trusses out of it. in our case and my inlaws case, the house is literally but slowly collapsing
    as always, you need first to identify clearly what issue/problem you are trying to solve. as far as i know buying/building a house or land can either be for investment or for a place to live or both.

for me, if i need to invest, it would not be here. i have a lot of company in that regard because as far as i know there is very little foreign investment in the philippines. its too unpredictable here.

if i need a place to live in the phils i would rent, and be able to walk away tomorrow if need be

6. Catabisis

Catabisis DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Tell your friend to consider shipping container houses. Have him look on Alibaba for them. For 3000USD, he can get a 40ft x 8.5ft with kitchen and toilet. Weld about 4 together and have a complete 1360sft home

7. Catabisis

Catabisis DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would think so. You could probably get all you need in a balikbayan box