Dumaguete Info Search

House passes medical marijuana bill

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Sedona, Jan 30, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Those are myths. It does not lead to laziness ... it leads to relaxation. If someone becomes "lazy", they would have been lazy with or without the marijuana. There are strains that actually energize and help you to become more active and more creative. The "gateway drug" myth has been thoroughly dis-proven. In fact people who smoke marijuana are less likely to move on to harder drugs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not sure they said that in the bill, just that they prohibit smoking and we all know that edibles still contain THC... we can only wait and see :smile:

3. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    How exactly did it disprove it? For every study that says one thing, I can show u one that says another. There really is no concrete proof one way or another. But my statements are from experiences I have had and or witnessed.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Ok, but that seems to be the exact same perks as the "medical format". What's the problem with putting it in a safer and more medically legitimate form for consumption? I think if someone is dead-set on smoking it they are more than likely just stoners hiding under a masquerade of medical benefit. If THC (or whatever other chemical is in it) is what's helping people and smoking offers no real benefit then they should have no issue with it if they are really in it for the medical benefits.
    Why do you believe that?
    Doesn't medical marijuana do that as well.
    Any sources to back up that smoking is more beneficial than other forms for treating these diseases?

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Okay, now I'm getting lazy and just screen-shotting rather than quoting.

I don't care who you are and what antidotes you can come up with. You can't perform to your best under the influence of marijuana, alcohol, methamphetamine, etc. If a drug is energizing, then you might be decent at performing brainless tasks. Anything which requires a combination of creativity and strong decision making will be negatively impacted. A drug which increases your creativity does so at the expense of decision making.

What might work?
    • My job isn't that difficult. I can perform well enough under the influence and that's all that matters.
    • I do such low doses (micro-dosing LSD, drinking a single beer at lunch) that it doesn't significantly affect my performance and may even enhance it in certain cases. A cigarette or a cup of coffee is a good example of drugs which may enhance performance at low doses.
    Many of the people I knew who smoked weed knew no restraint. They smoked in the morning, at lunch, at dinner and all through the evening. As a favorite Sublime song of mine went... "I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more." If you are generalizing, these are the people you are including in your sample. When you are under the influence of a drug all day, then you are going to performing poorly, all day. Call that person what you like, I suppose lazy works.

Imagine someone being drunk all day long, every day. What adjectives might you use to describe this person?

There's a lot of variables. As with any drug, there is a cycle of how it affects you. There are also individual differences. As I mentioned earlier, some people actually suffer anxiety from weed, which isn't relaxing at all.

upload_2019-2-2_9-29-3.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is not a problem only benefits with transform marijuana in "medical format" so nonsmokers can get a benefit of it, but someone like alcohol free wine and others don't. Maybe if someone is dead-set of smoking they have a problem like alcoholics have with alcohol. Like you can drink a glass of wine a Friday/Saturday evening and on special occasions, some people smoke a joint the same way. though there is something you need have on your mind, in Europe people get drug tested if police stop you and where alcohol normal disappear in a short timeframe, marijuana can stay in your body up to 3 months, it's stored in the fatty tissue, so if you want to keep your driving license then no smoking 3 months ahead. Oh, that proves marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol, I'm not sure, alcohol can be out of your blood but you can still have a fat lever which can kill you. I'm not an expert or here to tell anyone listens to me I know what is right and wrong in this topic, just want to share my experience.

7. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I could not agree more... Brownies are a far better way to consume and your lungs will thank you , not to mention all those around you who have to smell your byproduct :smile: PS smoking anything is just nasty :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    The "gateway drug" myth has been thoroughly disproven. In fact people who smoke marijuana are less likely to move on to harder drugs.

It seems the National Institutes of Health doesn't believe it has been completely disproven.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

Admittedly, there lots of other contributing factors besides marijuana, but the link above indicates it plays a role. Maybe it is more of an indicator of a particular personality, like how some people become addicted to opiates and some don't.

Curious where the myth thoroughly disproven comes from.

As an aside, my favorite Venice Beach doctor Dr Kush is truly an expert on the subject and he says..............

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Direct quote from your link: "the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. ... An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/ending-addiction-good/201408/marijuana-the-gateway-drug-myth
    https://www.vice.com/sv/article/9bgn7a/why-marijuana-is-not-a-gateway-drug-1013
    https://news.lift.co/cannabis-gateway-drug/

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Much of psychological and social science is bullsh*t. The people running these studies don't understand data, among many other problems. Media and authors just perpetuate these crap studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis

Then with the media, you get what you pay for. Free news incentivizes poor quality and link-bait. The above linked Vice just laid off 250 of their staff because advertising based journalism is losing steam.

I don't know where the idea of gateway drugs originated or the thinking behind it. The concern of gateway drugs is likely directed more at kids and young adults. Society doesn't care about you once you hit 40.

I'm not making a judgement, but once you have broken a barrier in your decision making, then further actions past that barrier have less negative pressure. Once you overcome an aversion to doing something, then there's much less resistance to doing that thing and closely associated things in the future. Some are able to easily end the experiment, others totally go off the rails.

As a gateway, the first problem I can see with kids experimenting with illegal drugs is a willingness to break the law. Then there's the barrier of experimenting with powerful and un-regulalated drugs. Maybe Marijuana isn't a paved road, but it could be a beaten path.