Dumaguete Info Search

How and why did you end up here in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by simple mind, Jan 19, 2012.

1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Say it isn't so, Larry!

The feral predators certainly have more recruitment methods to find their victims and the opportunity is certainly more publicized. A foreigner would have to run the gauntlet of females so happy to greet him but behind that I believe there are still plenty of honorable women too proud to advertise on the meat market.

I can't bring myself to paint most Filipinas with that dirty brush, are there any here to speak in their defense?

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    it certainly is....

talking about technology, most would agree that buying a used bike from a newspaper add or online without closer inspection and test-riding is pretty damned stupid, and one should not wonder at all, if there is some severe damage and rust under the top coating and the engine busted.

.. for some it might still be good enough as a nice piece of decoration in the front-yard

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I think you may have missed the point, Tom. there are still plenty of good ones out there, but the percentages have decreased and it is no longer quite so easy to weed out the good from the bad.

Larry

4. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When I mentioned I was going to live in the Philippines the most frequent question I was asked was "how long will you be there?" The funniest response I got when mentioning I was moving was from a neighbor who said, "my image of the expat in the Philippines is an aging ex-military alcoholic who was thrown out of his mother's trailer."
    All emails indicate the senders are geographically challenged about Asia and the Philippines in particular. There seems to be no distinction between events in Luzon and what happens in Mindanao with questions like " don't get kidnapped or they will take your body parts; did you survive the tsunami?; is it true you get 10 feet of rain?"
    I tried to send photos but I doubt any minds were changed. Now that I think about it my body parts are negotiable...

5. OP
    OP
    simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Larry, you hit the nail square on the head, could not have sayed it any better. I have to listen to a lot of storys that my dear Wife is telling me about our neighbours daugthers that have several "Kanos" on line and some storys are just unbelievable...

6. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Yah, now that I think about it we may have ruined it for the next generation. But that is all the more reason for careful screening of your future mate.

7. OP
    OP
    simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    It's now a whole year since I started this thread, it would be interesting to see if there are some new members that would like to come out into the open and tell their stories...

8. TradeWind

TradeWind DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perhaps my screen name should be OLDSCHOOL...I met my filipina wife the old fashioned way-as a pen pal. As you might imagine, it was more then a few years ago-

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Pen pal..... :confused: what in the world is that? :rolleyes:

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    That's back before your time, Wrye, back when "Mail" was delivered to your mailbox by a "mailman".

:wink:

Larry