Dumaguete Info Search

Poll How Many Years in the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Rye83, Apr 21, 2017.

?

When was your first visit to the Philippines?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2018.
  1. 2016 - Current

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 2011 - 2015

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. 2006 - 2010

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 2001 - 2005

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. 1996 - 2000

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. 1991 - 1995

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 1986 - 1990

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. 1981 - 1985

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Pre-1980

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  10. Haven't visited yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I did not answer the poll because I find that length of time in Philippines and/or when a person first visited have no direct correlation to how "experienced" people are.

Example: Someone who is out and about, exploring and living in different areas, socializing, walking everywhere and meeting the locals and is basically an out going, inquisitive type, is going to be more experienced in 10 years than a guy who moved into a subdivision 20 years ago with a wife who won't let him go anywhere alone and he stays home and gets all his info on forums or CNN.

But this is just my opinion. :cigar:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    " Someone who is out and about, exploring and living in different areas, socializing, walking everywhere and meeting the locals and is basically an out going, inquisitive type, is going to be more experienced "
    That's me. Landed in Zamboanga January 1982 (Dumaguete one month later) being with my boat on the way from Bali to Japan/Californie.
    Have lived here since with three absents of together 6 years. Allways have been happy to be back in the PH.
    Made a living with taking "paying quest" on board so I sailed/dived/fished in many places. Being based 10 years in Cebu and 10 years in Palawan in the pre mobile phone / motorbike period.

There's a lot of things nowadays I do not like but the PH is in general still OK for a lover of nature and hot climate like me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    1964 Subic Bay for JEST (jungle survival course).
    2007-2009 Makati working
    2010-present Dumaguete/Bacong

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Who voted here and is currently not living in the Philippines?

Me being still in Switzerland and my last visit was in 2013. My wife visit was in last year. And she was not in Dumaguete even when she was in Negros Oriental. She preferred to use the west route over Dumanjug and Guihulngan to go to her parents living in Tayasan.

5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I suppose I am not "living" in the Philippines ATM....but I'm not really "living" in Afghanistan either. I still have a place in the Philippines and pay for the rent/utilities/upkeep of that place and I certainly don't consider Afghanistan "home".

6. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I first set foot in the PI in Jan. 1967. During the War in Viet Nam.
    In 1987 came here to marry a Dumaguete girl almost 30 years ago.
    Our first 22 years was in Alaska and we came back to Dumaguete once and some times twice a year during that 22 years. We moved back here to stay in June 2010. For me there are more dangers to living in the US than there are here. Will I ever go back to the US? HELL NO! Wife has orders to scatter my ashes here and I have told my family in the US to not expect me to return, not even for a funeral.
    I'm here for the duration.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Interesting poll, but another poll might be "When did you first visit" AND "If you live here, when did you move?" (us- 2000 and 2016)

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I thought "When did you first visit?" is what this one was about.

The second question needs a bit more clarification for a poll. Maybe it could be narrowed down to "When you first moved to the Philippines as an expat what region did you choose?" The reasons and exact location could be further explained in posts if one felt the desire to share such information.

• Agree Agree x 1