Dumaguete Info Search

How much cash can one bring to Philippines without declaring?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by ampalaya, Nov 13, 2017.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Has anyone ever had their wallet or carry on checked for how much cash you are bringing in or out of any country? Just curious and am not advocating ignoring laws but I know I've never had such a check and I've gone through less than desirable countries.

Shawn

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    [​IMG]

You must have a tough wallet. I carry a metal money clip and it has to go through the backscatter. That many hundreds is going to draw some attention (if it doesn't break trying to jam that many hundreds in it). Remember you can get stopped before you even teach your destination. I believe in most US states it is illegal (or highly discouraged by law enforcement) to walk around with more than 10k USD. Not sure how the US (or other countries) will take to you trying to carry that much cash overseas. I imagine they are going to have some questions (I would).

I have seen a family stopped just prior to boarding a plane by security for having too much cash. They were not allowed to get on the plane. They were asked if they had declared the money to the country they were headed to (the US in this case). They didn't have the paperwork, were detained and didn't make the flight.

The cash will show up on the backscatter and a chunk of change that thick is going to be visible in your back pocket (if you get a pat down they are definitely going to wonder why you were trying to sneak it through). Again, is it worth the risk?

Why not declare it at pay the appropriate taxes/fees? We are law abiding citizens...right?

3. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    $10,000 per family is the limit. If you try to bring more you are at risk of losing this money. You will also be at risk in US as they may take it from you.
    You can open a bank acct in Philippines and transfer money to it. Also you might be able to use cryptocurrency....not sure how you could convert that to dollars or pesos once you get here. The only thing easy about money is losing it.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
  5. Leyte

Leyte DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The amount of cash which can be brought in without a declaration is $10,000. More than this amount and it must be declared. Failure to do so risks confiscation of the monies. If you’re traveling with family, it is NOT $10,000 per person. It is the total the family has with them. Trying to hide the money risks it being found and confiscated.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Source?

If a husband and wife come to the Philippines and say they don't know each other (and went through different immigration/customs lines) how exactly would they know?

Exactly what law states that a husband and wife/family are only allowed 10k USD as a group? The laws given here as sources specifically state "per person", not per family.

• Like Like x 1