Dumaguete Info Search

How sad things turn out

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    My Father taught me that at some point Capitalism will fail. Every thing rising and at some point there will be a cut-off. Told me it's best to be a DINK (douple income no kids) I did have one child and afforded it easily. The generation of this decade has much, much to sort out. It will not be an easy road ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    They certainly are on a reasonable basic pay Dave, with the opportunity to work extra hours for lifes luxury's.
    I worked as a postman, then as a machine operator in a Main Sorting Office, finally as a cycle mechanic/ workshop supervisor for Royal Mail ( the Post Office )
    During my early years of marriage with three children and a mortgage, a car was a luxury and I often worked 65 hours a week to give my family a comfortable home.
    My late wife died at an early age of 42 years old, I could no longer work the extra hours, I still had a young 9 yr old daughter to look after, a job to hold down and a mortgage to pay off.
    By Gods Grace I came through it.
    I have the greatest respect for the Nurses and Carers that show genuine concern and compassion for patients, however sadly not all staff have that mindset, for them it's just a job.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    John, I also worked for the PO, I started with them in 1975 at aged 22yrs my starting pay was £46 half again what I was earning in the textile industry in a dead end job and worked there till I was 62yrs, just less than 40yrs, but this was on the telecommunications side that I worked, of course they went private in 1987 and become BT, in these times as you know you had a job for life no matter how useless you were at it, working for the PO on our side it was easy money many guys chose not to do all that much and got away with it, every day they had to think up new lies to cheat the system, many of them were brown noses, I found it easier just to get on with the job and get the work done, I was not anti management, but did not do myself any favours by being brutally honest with them, many guys who were quite useless on the tools were pushed off them and promoted, that was the way of things back them, perhaps more common than you can imagine?
    I had started as a Cable Jointer and worked on newly installed cables some quite large containing 2000 wires, we worked in gangs of 4 at that time, however I got P!ssed off working with guys that would not pull their weight after 10yrs of this I changed to become a Faults-man where you worked on your own, later I become a first responder to any cable damage caused by contractors digging up the roads, this used to happen many times in the week and I had to take Photos and a statement from the damagers on how this damage was caused, occasionally ending up in court as a witness, this did not happen all that often, but I did enjoy being on the stand being questioned by lawyers for the defence and these Lawyers did not have a clue what they were talking about (road construction and the utility services within them) being much too overconfident that they could run rings around me an ordinary layman of the working classes.

Cheers

Dave

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I have to say Dave,
    In fairness to Royal Mail when my late wife became very ill, my immediate manager call me in his office and said John, I dont need the details but you come into work when you have done whats needed and you go home when you need too.
    I never abused that kindness, worked through my tea breaks to make up some of the short falls were possible and was grateful to be able to hold on to my job. I eventually, a few years later got recognition for my efforts to improve health and safety and a promotion.
    The last 14 years, till I took retirement were certainly the most satisfying.
    As the saying goes.....if you enjoy what you do, you never work a day in your life.
    Lets hope that the NHS will return to the values so many Nurses and Doctors had, who dedicated themselves to the service of others,
    they were certainly there when I needed them........regards JB

• Agree Agree x 1