Dumaguete Info Search

How the Info page looks on Mozilla

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by btween2worlds, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just realized this was posted a week ago. Went out for a couple drinks last week and I guess I lost track of time. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the problem posted in the OP seems to have been sorted by commenting out the CSS rule mentioned above. Tested on Chrome 49 and Firefox 44 on Linux Mint. If I broke something for Windows users let me know. TheDude, you know where to come collect on the beer I owe ya.

Looks like a problem with the Google responsive ads. Not sure what to do about that or where this ad might be located without a link. Is this something you are seeing on the homepage?

2. OP
    OP
    btween2worlds

btween2worlds DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    I will look I have mozilla on windows too. It now looks good on Ubuntu 14 with Mozilla. Looks good on windows with mozilla. You fixed it! :cigar:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    I got that from using the inspect element in developer tools on mozilla and then clicked on the debugger.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That error is sort of self explanatory. There's a Google Ads block which is trying to load but not finding the available space so that it can adjust. Or at least, that's my take on it.

I'm guessing that you have ads in an area of the site which disappears on mobile or small screen sizes. If you have a page which loads Google ads, but the ads aren't showing (even if intentional) then that's probably were the problem is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This error appears to be caused by the Ad Blocker Plus add-on. Just disabling the ad blocker for this website does not resolve the problem but completely disabling or uninstalling the browser add-on from the browser's settings makes the error go away. It seems that ABP on Firefox (both Windows and Linux) is manipulating your browsing experience even when you have told it not to.....nothing much I can do about glitches in their software. Note: This problem does not exist with ABP on Chrome (at least on Windows 10).

The error doesn't appear to be causing any problems with the site's functionality. I do find it curious that ABP would block the advertisement above the forum posts on the homepage but not the one on the right sidebar a little further down on the page.....they are both inserted on the page with the same add-on and both ads have the exact same code. Not sure why ABP is messing with div width when it has been disabled for the page.

Luckily, Firefox only accounts for around 8% of the traffic on DI and only around 17% of Firefox users are using an ad-blocker. So the people seeing this error (and not seeing that advertisement) doesn't cost the site much revenue at all. It's really not worth the time it would take to try to find a way to make the site load as it should for an add-on that is specifically designed to alter the way a webpage loads. Appreciate the heads up on the format issues and errors though. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Walang Anuman normally adblock plus doesn't block all adds. I added it, and Blur, because I don't want Mr Google involved in my browsing experience unless I ask for it.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Not very good for keeping out Forum alive though is it? :bookworm:

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It blocks all ads on this site, which is really all that really matters in this thread. Everyone that runs an ad blocker has their reasons (some of them reasonable while others complete nonsense). I have it installed myself in Chrome but I always turn it off for websites that I frequently visit or provides me with useful information.

If the only concern and reason for running ad blocker on DI is the Google ads tracking you then.....
    1.) Opt out of it: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated
    2.) If you don't have an account then you only have to worry about their cookies....which can be blocked:
    https://www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin

Doing that will allow ads to be shown but stop Google from tracking you and still help with DI covering it's operating costs. If you find that solution unsatisfactory I'm fine with that.....but I don't fix site issues related to or caused by ad blockers or other add-ons designed to alter the way the website was originally designed.

Note: I don't think you brought up the error to ask that it gets fixed, I'm just explaining my thoughts on ad blockers so that when you see that the error hasn't been fixed months later it won't be taken as a "meh, not my problem". :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Actually I dont see any error. It is the only error that came up on the debugger I used. As for content I am sure you can tell I am a serious person. Most of the content on this site is speculation, innuendo, and comedy.
    Occasionally some interesting experiences from people, that I would have to take with a grain of salt. I say that because we all are different and because of that all will be treated different by Filipinos. I have lived in the Philippines a few times, starting at the age of 3 years old. It is home to me so I am treated that way when I am there. The only thing that keeps me from a permanent life there is the Farm here. But someday ................Anyway I disabled adblock plus for your site. Still dont see any adds?

10. OP
    OP
    btween2worlds

Ratings:
    +27 / 4
    Well I am not making a living off of ex-pats nor do I plan to. But I disabled adblock plus for this site. I pay for my websites myself without gaining any finances from the process. Those that need this service should pay for it if they so desire. I have no intention of living in Dumaguete. I have land and home In Baguio and Iloilo lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.