Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion How to get rid of birds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Apr 26, 2015.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I take it there must be plenty of grease on site? Get up there and cover the perches with the stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So shutting the bay door seemed to work. lol This wasn't possible last month as the sun was down before 6pm. So now I have another problem: I have to walk all the way to the side door and then back out front to use the pisser. I am undecided if I want to walk all the way around the tent or deal with the bird sh*t. Those 60 extra steps I have to take might not be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Are you talking about the small brown/white birds that seem to be in every country?

I'd talk to the entomology folks about removing them or finding a better food source and nesting area. I have never been around a base or deployment where there was not someone from entomology around, normally understaffed but asking the question would never be a waste of time.

Was something that was privatized mostly quite a few years ago but still an important part of base maintenance.

Shawn

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are about 3-4 different kinds of birds. two larger birds with one being a pigeons the other I just called "fatties" (produced the biggest turds and literally "screamed" when it was scared...horrible noise. I was surprised these fat asses could even get airborne). Some small brown/white ones like you mentioned, and a small black/white/some have a bit of red bird that flies strange (flaps a few times, starts to fall, flaps some more....looked like that flappy bird game). There was a loud "bird war" last night which is what prompted me to post this. The black/white/red birds were going at it with the brown/white ones for about an hour.

Brown/white bird looks like this. Internets says Large-billed Reed Warbler (it is supposed to be rare in Afghanistan but probably not many bird watchers getting into country the past 15 years):
    [​IMG]
    (couldn't get my own picture of this one)

The black and white one is this:
    IMG_20150329_171844.jpg
    IMG_20150329_171853.jpg
    Kinda hard to see but it's the best I could get with my phone. Didn't see anything online about it.

The two bigger ones just look like regular old brown/black pigeons.

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    we are trying it now,the sparrows eating the long beans,let you know if it works.

Attached Files:

7. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm not a bird watcher but do enjoy looking at different birds and usually had bird feeders around most places I've lived. I was actually surprised the number of different bird species (other than pigeons...winged rats) that you could spot in Afghanistan. There was one bird I found fascinating that looked like a small roadrunner, very quick and I assume it was eating the large black ants that seem to be everywhere. I was never able to figure out exactly what it was but it was a bird that was common on my construction site.

Agree not many bird watchers heading to Afghanistan and when I would ask my staff what a certain bird was called they had no clue. Tons of sparrows in Afghanistan, probably the most common bird I saw there.

I doubt there is much you could do yourself other than contacting the base maintenance folks about getting entomology to check it out.

Shawn

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    We had many similar problems in our Aircraft hangers, we had the experts in and they did a gassing once a month for 6 months and things quietened down considerably the Birds did not die just moved on. I doubt you will ever eradicate the whole thing as the doors are open for too long.
    The one thing I always remember was being told Not to lay poison as this can effect the food Chain, which these birds are no doubt part of.

Just my little input here.

JP :bag: :wink:

9. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    We don't have many Americans left on base, maybe 20-30. The rest are mainly German and other European countries. Outside of Bagram you don't find too much US military around these days (but there are a lot there). Seems everywhere I go it's all European countries. Leatherneck closed, RC-West is mainly Italian and is shutting down in a couple months, Kabul only has the top US brass, Kandahar is almost all British/European, RC-North is German/Hungarian/Croatian. It is certainly a blessing to not be in Kabul and Bagram though (where you get arrested for not wearing a reflective belt at night and for jaywalking.....d*mn US military!).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Reflective belts were mostly required for folks in uniform, not civilian clothing; but would not be surprised if it is enforced for all as there are not too many street lights on the bases.

Most of the bases I was associated with (did work on) had a maintenance contract that was US company that employed mostly Afghan workers, this included the bases ran by other NATO partners as well as the Afghan bases we built for them. With the drawdown I can see that maintenance will be turned over to the ANA, which maintenance will then cease to exist.

Shawn
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430107392,1430107196][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Off topic but, most of the Europeans do not follow General Order #1, so that is not a bad thing to be away from the US military influence on the bases...not that I spent time on an Italian/Spanish base taking advantage of this in the past.

Shawn