Dumaguete Info Search

“If you want to be critical go ahead, that never accomplices anything.”

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by simple mind, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I love it when foreigners try to look smart and appear to know about life in the U.S. or U.S. politics when they base their info on the media and/or second hand information, and have never been there to see how things really are. It would be like if I offered my opinion, and stated it as fact about rocket science. Too funny!

2. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

I AGREE! Life is too short... TOO SHORT TO BE engrossed with wars. I understand where your coming from like most of the members that reacted here, your probably one of the soldiers that fought in those wars. I just think America is just so engrossed with fighting and building weapons instead of spending it in something else that's much more needed.

i don't have to spend anything because oz offers free healthcare although we have a private healthcare insurance but it doesn't mean that they're healthcare here isn't any good it's just that dental is not free unless your an aboriginal. Not going down? It's already down LOL. You may not feel it because your living like a king in the Philippines and get good value of your money but how about the ones that are currently living there? Don't you think they're struggling?

All my friends that I've spoken from there said life in America is tough. I don't need the television to tell me, it's all over Facebook Americans whinging about their lives there and having to put up with such a shitty job because there's not much out there unless of course if you join in the army.

3. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

If you don't mind me saying it, i am not being a smart @ss but I based my judgements from seeing a lot of American retires in Philippines why do you think they're living there? Considering Philippines is a third world country, if America is still GOOD just as you think it is, then why are Americans moving out? I don't need to state the reason do I? Well...

firstly I think, when your a retiree you can't look after yourself anymore you will be sent to a nursing home right? And that's not good and probably expensive too.

to live in your pension over there, you will be struggling and probably can't survive. Now these are my questions sir:

if the American government spent there money wisely rather than wars eg building more free nursing home that offers good free services. Free healthcare and education then I'm pretty sure American people wouldn't suffer much would they? Especially that its not easy to adapt in a country like Philippines where hospital services aren't quite just as good in America unless you pay top dollar prices same thing as food.

I've heard many Americans comparing Philippines to America and sometime whinge about how good America is I feel sorry for them for having to leave their country and live here because they find that the lifestyle here is way cheaper although adapting is another different story.

hoenstly, I don't need the media to tell me, I've seen it in my eyes. Every year more American retirees moving in, what if the government make a new law where these retirees won't get a pension if they're living overseas? What will you guys do then? You'll move back there and spend your pension money in the country to help the economy back up. It'll be horrible wouldn't it?

lets say $2000 a month is your pension, you have a house but still not paid off, then fuel plus food, maybe cigarettes, would that be enough for you to survive over there?

4. OP
    OP
    simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Why does the USA dominate our TV programs with senseless serials, like “Storage War”, “Pawn Kings”, “Restoration Kings”, American Chopper”, “Myth Busters”, “Barter Kings”, all of them demonstrate a lifestyle that is total excess, very offending to poor people, why does the USA want to be portrayed like that?
    Then the newer stuff like all the different “Survival”, “Fishing” and especially the last one “Duck Dynasty”, Alligator Killing Spree, what's wrong with people that like this crap, there must be plenty of them because this stuff is only made after extensive market research justifies it...
    Almost every Movie one sees nowadays(and much to many replays at that)and also the “Disney Channels”(the program is practically unchanged for years, one replay after another, very educational for your kid)are made in the USA, they are beyond what I would call normal, again, why is that so...

When I grew up in Switzerland, we had a lot of American Entertainment on TV, they were the only ones that had any money to make movies or serials, I grew up with Lassie, Flipper, Cherry Cotton, Bonanza and all the other “GOOD” and “JUST” members of society of that time, you are betraying the people that believed that you will do the right thing...

Where will this lead us with out intervention from reasonable minds, it will end very bad for everybody not allowed on the feeding trough along with the Elite and the Generals...
    Welcome bright(well not for many)new World...

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,583 / 1,017
    I think nice_sherwood was spot on when she talked about the U.S. being too expensive for people to live on their retirement income. That is certainly the case for me. I also noticed there seems to be a large number of Swiss people living here as well.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If people did not watch those shows and movies they would stop making them. Simple as that. No ratings=no advertisement=no show. I agree they are horrible, if you want some good programs you need to pay for those channels, HBO has a good history of creating some great miniseries. (weeds, Californication, generation kill, etc etc). I wait for them to come out on dvd and buy them (not pirate them as I think HBO deserves the money). But thats an American corporation, I don't know why you are turning on the TV and flipping through the discovery channels, you're supposed to be boycotting that stuff. As for what you consider "good" programs, well, that is debatable. None of those shows would my top 10.

Funny you quote Mark Twain, who was an American writer and inventor. Think he did that for free? Heck, there is still an organization that takes care of his estate (read :greedy:).

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Quite a lot of British, Aussie and Germans as well. Perhaps it's just not the US? Or maybe people don't just come here because they can't afford to live in their country.

8. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Stop the war and defense posturing

You are absolutely right. I wonder how much my healthcare expenses would go down, and along with my taxes if the US stopped protecting the Philippines and the rest of the world from the Chinese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese and the rebels in Mindanao? Those may not be direct war expenses but they are defense expense budget expenses.

How much money, energy and political effort did the US spend on helping resolve the "trigger happy" Coast Guard attach on the Taiwanese fisherman. It all cost money. And someone has to pay for it. It seems like the US Citizens are the one paying a lot of defense expenses.

If the US stopped protecting the world then they would not need a US war machine would not be needed until one of the other large countries took over everything but the US. O-|

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sorry but the US is not the only country that "protects their national interests" overseas. We just have the largest military and the largest economy, so it's more noticeable. Just so you know, there the rat least 20 countries participating to some extent in Afghanistan. Simple Mind, may I ask what country you are from? I would bet your country is doing the exact same thing the US is doing, only on a smaller scale.

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Its not your dentists coming to AU its the Multinational companies like Henry schein who control Kavo who is a German drill and equipment supplier world wide, not good, Au was the last franchise of Kavo to be kicked out and taken over by Henry schein, its these companies that are being very aggressive world wide.
    Henry schein also have bought out a major dental equipment repairer in AU and now the industry is controlled by them, they are my competition and my supplier of parts, I don’t know how a company can take over a company world wide and kick out a franchise who have run those franchises for over 30 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.